Hiding IP

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by rOadToIS, Jan 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rOadToIS

rOadToIS Registered Member

Is using proxies the only way to hide my IP?
    How can I safely hide my IP without using proxies?
    By the way, is HideMyAss reliable?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  2. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

1. For you to not appear to be you, you must appear to be someone else. Someone else means using someone else's machine. That would be a proxy of some sort.

2. Depends on what you mean by proxies. web proxies? ssl proxies? you could get a ssh tunnel or vpn. vpn being more secure.

3. Reliable for what.

3. badjoey

badjoey Registered Member

payment methods

steve can i ask you why since you switched over from your older xerobank service that the only payment method you offer is credit card.under the older service you offered payment by paypal,cash and even money orders which for the uber paranoid are more secure cause using a credit card makes a person traceable.i know you use a third party payment system so you say you dont know who is purchasing from you but you and i both know that if the feds really wanted to know who purchased this service from you they would be able to find out by tracing the card.so its really not that nonymous if they can do this.

4. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

That's easy. A state authority will already know if you are using an anonymity network simply by watching the traffic leaving your house and it's destination. Paying for it anonymously is not the issue. The issue is being able to attribute the traffic/account at the anonymity service back with your identity/payment. If it is trivial to link payment and identity to an account and it's traffic, there is little protection for the user if the company comes under duress.

We like the idea of defense in depth, so we devised a system that would allow you to pay by whatever method, and we would break the link between payment/identity and traffic/account.

We designed a system called VAULTS for XeroBank. It splits the identity/payment from the account/traffic by anonymizing it through one-way encryption operations. It allows anyone to pay and for us to know the identity of the payer, and then an encrypted token is generated and dropped into the vault where there is a pool of other encrypted tokens. Only the person with the anonymous traffic account can decrypt it and redeem the token for XeroBank service.

These are the Deposit account and the Access account.

The Deposit account funds the service, then anonymously transfers it's funding to the Access account who automatically redeems it with XeroBank. This happens transparently when you are connected to us. Our systems meter the usage and redeem a toll token every 100MB or so.

This is a way that a business can know it's customers, and allow the customers to anonymously redeem service from a provider without the business knowing what the customer bought/used/accessed.

The end result is someone can come to us with all the logged traffic data in the world, and say "tell us who owns the account for this traffic", and we can honestly say we have no clue.

5. Leonid

Leonid Registered Member

If you are looking for anonymous buying of VPN/SSH I would advise you to buy it via paysafecards. You can buy them as easy as you can buy bubble gums. If you are from Europe. You can buy them on petrol stations throughout Europe. Several VPN providers are accepting it.

Then you first connect to Tor and then to SSH. Pretty much safe. If you are using their servers in the countries like Malaysia, Iran, Ukraine....you're very much safe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.