Hiding Browser and OS Identification

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by beetlejuice, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

Long ago I read an article about either FireFox or Proxomitron, that gave you the steps to enable you to hide the identification of your browser and OS. You could assign them any name you wished to. I actually did it on my old computer. I can't remember where I saw it at. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    Thanks

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Scroll down on the outgoing header filter options.

3. rv003

rv003 Guest

The way I hide my browser and OS type with Firefox is by using the 'User Agent Switcher' extension, and create my own browser/OS type called "None". Just add this to the available list of the UAS, so it will now read

-----------
    Internet Explorer 6 (Windows XP)

Netscape 4.8 (Windows XP)

Opera 7.54 (Windows XP)

None
    ----------
    Options

And just select "None" when I want to hide my browser and OS type. Works good for me. ;)

4. rv003

rv003 Guest

Just wanted to add that the User Agent Switcher "None" trick will still work with javascript enabled. When you go to this site for example http://www.whatismyipaddress.com/browser.asp with javascript enabled, and the UAS on "None", it will not reveal your browser or OS type. :D

5. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Yup! This works for me...

6. dog

dog Guest

Like Ronjor Suggested Proxomitron is Best. ;)

Here's a Screenshot BJ.

Steve

Attached Files:

7. dog

dog Guest

Just to add a little to my above post, while FF (with the user agent extension) and Opera's built in ability, are some what useful without question, they are limited to spoofing those browser details/headers only while they're in use, and don't in any way have an effect on any other browser, that you may use. Where as Proxomitron, once configured properly within all your browsers settings, will spoof those headers, regardless of the browser.

You can see/test what info your browsers is giving out, with Sygate's SOS pre-scan.
    Here --> http://scan.sygatetech.com/

If you utilize user-agent Netscape-Linux (out) as in the attachment above, the info will be:
    Operating System = Linux 2.2.13-33cmc1 i686
    Browser = Netscape Navigator 4.61

:ninja: *puppy* :ninja:

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

you can spoof your OS too with proxo. :D

EDIT OK just read Dog's post above :oops:

Attached Files:

9. C64

C64 Guest

Yeah, but with Firefox's User agent switcher you can do the same thing. You could just add any OS or browser you want. You can also add anything you want to the user agent switcher, like for example my browser is a toaster and my OS is a monkey. :D :p

10. C64

C64 Guest

I just tested it at the link provided by Dog http://scan.sygate.com and it says my new browser is Toaster 1.0. ;) :D :D

11. C64

C64 Guest

Now it says my browser is Toaster 1.0 and my OS is Monkey XT 3.2. :p :D :p :D

12. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

Are there updates or skins for Proxomitron as Dog's looks a little different to mine?

Jimbob

13. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Yeah what skin and filter pack are you using there Dog, you holding out on the good stuff ;) :D

Cheers :D

14. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

Dog is using extra filters as well! to the dog house my friend :D

Jimbob

15. dog

dog Guest

LOL ... it's patched, plus it using the Bluewoo textures as far as visuals are concerned ... and for a config file, I'm using Sidiki - Kye-U's (original plus the 2 IDNs Updates) - Lv 3 merged. ;) also utilizing Mona's Total and Count, and of course the SSL add ons.

I'll post the links when I get home later this morning. Never fear .... dog is here. LOL :D

Steve

16. dog

dog Guest

17. Maria

Maria Guest

Hey there this is first true post so can I say hi to everyone and a big thank you spanner for pointing me towards the user agent switcher which is so cool i did not know you could do that.
    And as I have reading up on fire fox all over the forum I put in the ad block trick you said to do and just in time by the sound of it with all the scares at the moment.Just love the way your pen flows and you seem to know what you are talking about too like some of the others.
    Like you I only recently have been trying out the fire fox browser so those tips came in real handy I can tell you.
    I have been feeling my way way around the forums for over a week now trying to play catch up.It's almost too much to take in all at once but I'm getting there I think lol.
    Some real nice info on all kinds of topics from some real knowledgable people.Thank you to everybody who's info has helped me so far on my journey and who knows I may even be allowed to post some tips myself soon lol.

18. beetlejuice

Well I just installed and tested the User Agent on FF. Everything comes up as "Unknown". Hahahahaha. http://img99.exs.cx/img99/8577/yupi3ti.gif Might as well keep them guessing huh? Now for Proxo on IE. Wish me luck.

19. dog

dog Guest

20. DanL

DanL Registered Member

Thanks Dog............I've been interested in Proxomitron but didn't know where to start.
    There is a lot more to it compared to some of the other security programs.

Dan

21. dog

dog Guest

My Pleasure Dan ;)

Have Fun :D

Steve

22. beetlejuice

Well I still can't get it to work with IE. I even tried to proxy Aol. Must not have done it right. Anyone got any experience with Proxo, IE, and AOL?

23. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

24. dog

dog Guest

Does this Screen Shot Help BJ - with setting up IE. I don't have any idea about AOL, but the link Ronjor provided is very informative. ;)

HTH, ;)

Steve

Attached Files:

25. beetlejuice

Thanks Dog and ronjor. Those will deffinately help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.