HideMyAss provides FBI with logs for LulzSec

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by SteveTX, Sep 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nightrace

nightrace Registered Member

When I tested it the Mullvad client leaked but the standard OpenVPN client did not.

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

What do you mean by "internal IP"? There's your LAN IP (say 192.168.0.10) assigned by your router, that you get by typing "ipconfig /all" or "ifconfig". There's your router's WAN IP assigned by your ISP. When you're not using a VPN or proxy, sites like -http://www.whatsmyip.org report that. When you are using a good VPN or proxy service that doesn't leak, such sites report the service's WAN IP assigned by its ISP, instead of your router's WAN IP.

So, "internal IP" could mean either your LAN IP or your router's WAN IP. It could even mean the universal localhost IP (127.0.0.1). It depends on your perspective, inside-outside your LAN, or inside-outside your VPN.

3. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

It's wise to change your router's DHCP server defaults to third party DNS servers. That way, if you leak, it doesn't matter so much.

4. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

When I first started my VPN post I was impressed by the big looking VPN companies out there, HideMyAss included...

But as time went on and I dug more and researched more, I soon realized and spread word to other members, these are the types of VPN providers to look out for...

HideMyAss, LOL, ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ :thumbd:

And as a geek I truly can't believe another geek would of used this company to hack behind, really stupid... :blink:

I'm not condoning what this hack/cracker did, breaking the law is wrong, but what about the unsuspecting next time that just wants to download some movies or music, you can be sure HideMyAss will turn you in too... :(

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2011
  5. x942

x942 Guest

Well depending on how you look at it that is illegal too (unless you are paying but why the VPN then?). I think the best thing you can do is use multiple VPNs or use TOR and a public hotspot with a fake MAC addy like I said before. This way even IF TOR fails to protect you the can't track it back to your laptop.

6. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I'm not even sure that I qualify as a geek wannabe and I know better. It just makes me wonder about these guys. Who they are and who can actually consider themselves to be a member. I would think that someone who is smart enough to hack a major corporation would know better.

7. CasperFace

CasperFace Registered Member

Here's HMA's response to the related article posted in this thread:

While I respect the need for VPN providers to take certain precautions to prevent abuse, what the HMA Team doesn't seem to understand is that there are better (i.e., less invasive) ways to pinpoint abuse without actually having to log incoming IP addresses. By their own admission, their logging policy is actually no different from that of your typical residential/commercial ISP. :eek:

Regardless of how you may feel about the LulzSec incident, it does seem rather disingenuous for a company to call themselves "HideMyAss" when, realistically, they're providing a service whose policies are in direct contrast to the implied meaning of the name/phrase. Fortunately--and contrary to what HMA assumes--there are plenty of other legitimate providers out there that DO take privacy a lot more seriously. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.