hide ip adress by ess

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by proactivelover, Jan 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. proactivelover

proactivelover Registered Member

2. proactivelover

proactivelover Registered Member

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You can't hide your IP address this way . Use some open free proxy sites.

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

From whatismyip.com

5. phillip559

phillip559 Registered Member

In regards to services like Tor (vidalia bundle), is there a good way to encrypt information before it is sent to the proxy?

The man in the middle stealing information is a rather scary thought. There is a thread about this happening in Sweden.

6. Host One

Host One Registered Member

even using proxies people can get your IP if they want it, I'm using SSH tunneling. It cost money, but the speed is faster than proxies.

7. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Oh really? And how would that be?

8. Host One

I'm talking primarily with the fly by nite web proxies, if they aren't setup correctly they can allow the "bleed through" of peoples IP address, some proxies are great, many have security holes. This is from a privacy expert.

9. Host One

In using a proxy server (for example, anonymizing HTTP proxy), all data sent to the service being used (for example, HTTP server in a website) must pass through the proxy server before being sent to the service, mostly in unencrypted form. It is therefore possible, and has been demonstrated, for a malicious proxy server to record everything sent to the proxy: including unencrypted logins and passwords.

The bottom line of this is to be wary when using proxy servers, and only use proxy servers of known integrity (e.g., the owner is known and trusted, has a clear privacy policy, etc.), and never use proxy servers of unknown integrity. If there is no choice but to use unknown proxy servers, do not pass any private information (unless it is properly encrypted) through the proxy.

10. ethernal

ethernal Registered Member

there really isn't any need to hide your ip.

people in general put too much faith in the whole ip thing...

and well, "if you don't know how to do it, you don't need it" :blink:

11. phillip559

phillip559 Registered Member

Thats what I was originally asked. What is the best way to encrypt information before it passes to a proxy?

Or are you referring to information that is already encrypted by the log in process on the website?

12. Host One

sorry, my misread. If you use a VPN or secure SSH prior to the proxy all of the data from the time it leaves the PC is encrypted, your ISP or anyone alongthe way cannot read it.

13. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Yes but once it leaves the VPN server, it is decrypted and sent out from there. I think what he is talking about is using end to end encryption so the person he is sending it to has to decrypt it....so it is never in it's unencrypted form until after it reaches it's destination, so that no one can retrieve it before it gets there. This is something that I know nothing about yet, so I cannot recommend anything.

14. MakePB

MakePB Registered Member

You can hide ip address easily with anonymous proxy server. They are plenty open and publicly available anonymous proxy servers that you can use. I tried to provide on my site http://www.proxyblind.org good and tested open proxy servers with eliminating useless CoDeeN and PlanetLab proxy servers.
    Regarding Privacy Guard i tried it once in past and what i can see it is simple program that leech proxies from another proxy site and then give people option to test it for anonymity and of they are working or not. Nothing new and nothing special.

You have excellent free alternative as Charon (excellent proxy and socks tester), ProxyRama (a bit old but still reliable and can be used as local proxy server to surf using chains) or ProxyHunter (a bit old but excellent hunter and can be used as local proxy server for surfing).

Then if you are tired of testing free proxy servers and find out which one is good or not try TOR or JAP. In short both are free and stable. Only disadvantage is that they are slow.

f you are looking for commercial solution then try GhostSurf or Anonymizer. Both are fast and you will be anonymous to the site you visits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.