Hide and/or encrypt ?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Yinda, Nov 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yinda

Yinda Registered Member

I want to protect some personal folders for privacy reason. The most simple is probably to hide them with some programs. But what if somebody reboots the PC using a disket?

Other solution: encrypt the whole folder(s) ?

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

As the word "hide" implies, when things are hidden, people might be able to find them. I think encryption is the key to true privacy for your files and folders. Encryption does not have to be that hard to use, either. There is a great post by Luv2BSecure (see link below) that explains encrypting an entire area on your disk (a "container" if you will) and how accessing files in that area is no different than accessing other files in other folders. The post is near the bottom this thread:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=5019;start=0

This next thread provides links to some powerful and free encryption tools:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=3919

And finally, here's one more thread that does make note of a tool to hide folders:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=5051

I think that if you are really interested in privacy and securing your files, you should look through these threads and try one of two of the tools mentioned. Post back any questions and we'll all be here to help out.

Best Wishes,
    LowWaterMark

3. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

Hi Yinda,

I have to agree 100% with LowWaterMark. Hiding is just that. Things hidden can be found. Encryption is like a "safe" and safecracking is a lot harder than finding something.

Also, almost all "hiding" programs I have seen can be foiled by booting with the OS disk. Simple reason: all folder hiding programs hide their folders by use of their program. If their program isn't running, it cannot do its job and hide the folders.

With an encrypted container, partition, whatever.....even if the program isn't on the computer, the container is still there as a file - completely safe and encrypted.

Folder hiding has its place. Like to hide things from children, things that are not truly sensitive - just private - but honestly, that's about it. Its "secure lite"....

I really think LowWaterMark is right if you want real true-blue security.

Good luck,
    John
    Luv2BSecure

4. Yinda

Yinda Registered Member

Hi everybody,

Thanks for advices. The different posts are very instructive.

I do prefer the encryption too. I am already using ABI Coder (and like it), but just for some files. Although it has an "All files in folder" option, I like the idea of container mentioned by Luv2BSecure.

I have just downloaded the demo version of CryptDrive.

Thanks again and best regards,

Yinda

5. *Ari*

*Ari* Registered Member

Hi Yinda

Welcome aboard.
    Encryption is really the answer for private folders. If your files were named considering private sensitive way, I would recommend to hide them too, that is because encryption doesn´t rename files, nor folders. Encrypted zipped archives is one thing to consider too.

John, nice to see you too, sorry I didn´t reply for the last one earlier.

Pieter :) do not mind if some newbie like me tries to hangaround.

friendliest yours - Ari

6. luv2bsecure

That's the beauty of encrypted "containers" or "crypts".... no file names are shown. All you see is a file. The file when opened with the correct passkey just opens another drive. When you are through looking at whatever is in that "drive" (can be as big as around 4gb), shut it down and it's back to a file called, "Favorite Posts From Blaze" :)
    ......or whatever. I actually discourage the use of Zipped archives for "mass file" encryption purposes, Ari, because of the high rates of corrupted Zip files and the maximum size requirements.

I still think some are confused with "single file encryption" and "disk encryption"....remember, "Disk Encryption" is where you make a large "container" that acts just like another drive but when closed nothing inside can be seen.

I know little to nothing about this particular product as it is new. But I went looking for a good description for "Disk Encryption" versus "single file encryption".
    http://www.infoseccorp.com/products/spyproof/contents.htm
    By the way, the new PGP 8.0 is bringing PGPDisk back from the dead after NAI had killed it. PGPDisk is an example of "Disk Encryption." But the above link gives a good explanation and may explain it better than I have....

John
    Luv2BSecure

7. *Ari*

*Ari* Registered Member

Hi John

Hhmm your reply made me thinking.....I have used "TeamWares" encrypting and at the present F-secures.......but I do not like them, especially F-secures encrypting is s l o w . And file name is still visible for example: BankAccounts.fff, that is no good encryption or what. And when it comes to corruption of archieved....dangit. I need a very good tool and which allows me to send encrypted emails too.....is " Iron Key" a good one ?
    http://www.webattack.com/freeware/security/fwencrypt.shtml

Thank you all of you friends , this forum is the best place on whole net :)

friendliest yours -Ari

8. Yinda

Yinda Registered Member

Hi,
    I have been using DriveCrypt since yesterday. I don't think it is necessary to test more because it is so simple to use.
    However, before ordering the product, I would like to know whether there is a freeware using the concept of container too.
    Thanks
    Yinda

9. luv2bsecure

Hi Yinda,

Glad you like Drivecrypt. I love it.
    What OS are you using?
    If you are using Win95/98 you can get Scramdisk. Same program (almost) for free.
    go to:
    http://www.drivecrypt.com/update/home.asp
    enter scramdisk for username and freedownload for password.
    If you use XP/W2K/NT it has to be Drivecrypt.

Good luck!
    John
    Luv2BSecure

10. Yinda

Yinda Registered Member

Hi John,
    I am using Win98 fortunately. So I have installed Scramdisk and am using it. It has less functionalities than Drivecrypt of course, but amply sufficient for normal use. Great program.
    Thanks very much !
    Regards,
    Yinda

11. luv2bsecure

Yinda,

I'm glad you're able to use ScramDisk. It's a solid program. The whole history behind that program is fascinating. It is amazing that certain parties got together and are now actually allowing the distribution of ScramDisk from the DriveCrypt servers. ScramDisk was free with source code available for a long time. The developer of ScramDisk left to form the company that now offers DriveCrypt as a commercial program. That left ScramDisk where? With a lot of controversy over the last year between Shawn (the developer of ScramDisk) and his partner. The partner (Sam) was very upset that DriveCrypt was going to be commercial and the source code unavailable. THAT was the real problem. However, DriveCrypt changed their policies and Sam was back in good graces with Shawn. Now ScramDisk and DriveCrypt - amazingly - are both available from SecurStar. (If you go to the old ScramDisk site it tells you what to do to get the username and passcode and then in an email you are directed to a special site at --- DRIVECRYPT! ) It's been quite a ride to watch, but you can't beat the programs. Solid. Stable. Strong encryption. Just thought I would tell you a little history of how that program has evolved and you were able to download it - without paying for the newer DriveCrypt.

John
    Luv2BSecure

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.