Hidden Truecrypt OS and writing protection

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by ironhd, Jun 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ironhd

ironhd Registered Member

Hi guys,
    If you have truecrypt with Hidden OS, you know that you can't write on external HDD for security protection. The hidden OS divides by 2 the main drive and for coders, that need more space or simply want to move data it's very complicated. I saw a post (https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/truecrypt-modding.237405/) where a good guy posted a tool to disable this but since i'm new I can't PM him.
    So if you have such tools or solutions, your answer will be apreciated.

2. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

I too have run modified code over the years and for the exact reason you are citing. The "tool" you are referring to is to take source code and modify it and THEN do a compile of the new edited code.

The issue you will run into is that NOW the new drivers for the compile need to be signed. TrueCrypt's signing key won't work because the compile has created a new exe. Are you familiar with how to get around that obstacle? It was easy on Vista and older but is tougher on 7 and 8.

That code restriction adds alot of security and covers inexperienced users screwups galore. Most don't know how sneaky windows is at creating trails that forensic folks can follow. I am one of those folks.

You can write out to any device encrypted external's hidden volume. Also the code left a purposeful hole so that you can use a CDR/DVR drive and write out anything you want to that way.

If you know how to tunnel well you can also safely use FTP transfer to any server you want. The security of that transfer is the subject of another thread, but just so you are aware that its done all the time by yours truly.

3. ironhd

ironhd Registered Member

Thanx you for your question. I've found today a "vulnerability" with the writing protection. You can't write on a USB or a on another Drive BUT, when I have plugged my phone on my Hidden OS, I was abble to send/delete/copy files on it. Maybe with a trick to make windows think that my USB is a Phone I can do something. http://prntscr.com/3t7jsh

4. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

There are tons of ways to write out of a hidden OS. The smartness of the limitation was so that careless users wouldn't get compromised and then TC takes the hit as being "weak code" with holes in it. It is anything but that.

If you are insistent on writing out from a hidden OS about the easiest way (if you can't do a compile) is to setup VirtualBox and have a VM to use. When you need to write out just launch the VM grab the shared folder (hope you know what that is) where you would place the file to write and send it to the USB. Simple because now the USB media is connected to the guest and the host hidden restriction doesn't apply. Sure fire easy.

The VM and Virtualbox would be on the hidden OS and when you shut down they would be encrypted and present no security risk either.

5. BeardyFace

BeardyFace Registered Member

The even easier way is to set up a hidden volume on the usb and write to it, it's only unencrypted or normal (outer) tc volumes you can't write to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.