Hidden streams??

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Huey, Aug 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huey

Huey Registered Member

Have just been playing with another program, TDS Professional (which i found on these boards.. thankyou all :)), and i did a scan for ADS hidden streams and i got 8 "suspicious" hits.. so what are hidden streams anyway? Should i be worried at all?

The funny thing about this is that one of the suspicious streams i found, appcompat.txt seemed to be stopping me from using a file viewer program which i have been trying to use with no success??

Anyway as i dont know anything at all about streams or scripting i might be wasting everyones time but thought it wouldnt hurt to ask. My guess is that its probably nothing.. tis all good :)

Cheers Huey.

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hello Huey
    http://www.diamondcs.com.au/streams/streams.htm
    On this page you see Wayne's explanation about streams and why they are dangerous, including some tests.
    There is some about them in the Helpfile too.
    If they were not dangerous or at least suspicious, TDS would not detect them. In the private (regisgtered operators only) forum there was some discussion about them. If you don't need thyem, get rid of them. In doubt, ask support@diamondcs.com.au

About scripting: also this we discussed and worked on with several people, and my main contribution is filling wishlists and playing around with the msagents technology combined with TDS so you can easily create a voice controlled TDS application with them (with XP must be much easier). Once you get the feeling it is nice to do and we might grow to the more serious stuff. There are some very fine examples in the Scripts folder though, of which the larger ones work only in the registered TDS.
    Have al look in the DCS forums here and see if you can get more taste of it! :D

3. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

Hi guys, gals, TDS will detect any ADS. There are settings to ignore zero length ADS and non-executable strings, as well as some other options. Depending on your os and programs installed you may have lots of harmless ADTs detected by TDS. On eone of my systems for instance, there was an ADS in every single image file, sometimes more than one. YIKES,. I said. Turns out they were all harmless.

TDS3 currently lacks a utility to delete more than one ADT at a time, thus making it tough to get rid of them if you have thousands. DCS has assured me that in TDS4, this will be included. There is quite likely other apps to get rid of them all at once. If not, it isn't too hard to code an app to do so. Another way to rid your self of them is to copy the files to a fat32 partition, then copy them back. The ADS will be lost inthe process.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.