Hi sweetie...

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Nevi, May 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nevi

Nevi Registered Member

Hi guys..
    A short time ago,I was using Kasperskys KIS 7,and I have always felt good protected with that suite.
    However I found out,I was not open out to the internet.It turns out I have a very good NAT firewall in my router,so I have changed to ESS,mostly because of the light footprint.
    I admit,if I wanted the best possible security,I would probably use Online Armor retail together with NOD32 antivirus,or Kaspersky AV.
    But when I am behind a router,dont you think The Smart Suite from Eset should be enough?I scan once a week with Superantispyware free.
    I have sen people here,with 2 different AS,AND HIPS or Theatfire AND firewall and AV!Damn!:eek:
    Do you think I´m safe?

Thanks.

Nevi

2. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

It all depends on your surfing habits and your level of paranoia. I like the security programs and have more than I really need. I have NOD AV alone so I don't know how great their suite is. You didn't indicate if you have a firewall. If not I would install Comodo with Defense+ and leave it at that.

3. Teraclips

Teraclips Registered Member

Im too a security freak hahaha, 'cause I do a lot of internet transactions etc, so I think you are ok.

4. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

You are more than adequatly protected. Most of the time all those HIPS programs only complicate your life.

5. subset

subset Registered Member

On the contrary, there are always some weak spots if you rely only on a blacklist scanner.
    ThreatFire or Antibot/PRSC would be good completions related to security and would not cause strained nerves.
    Just to add a little fashionable program to all these oldfashioned Eset/Avira/Norton Suites. o_O

Cheers

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Hi Sweetie,
    Your security setup is a classical one, so you are pretty safe, if you don't go wild on the internet.
    Practice safe surfing, don't download anything from unknown sources and ignore/delete all your spam-emails, they are nothing but trouble in many ways, the usual blabla.
    Nothing is foolproof, so don't be surprised if you are infected now and then.

I can't recommend my own experimental security/recovery setup, which is still in beta, only malware seem to have fun with it. ;)

Good luck !!!

7. Wyrd

Wyrd Registered Member

I also try to combine several security programs (look at my signature) in order to get an overall tougher protection. The funny thing is that all the 5 programs, which I am running together right now (NOD32, Comodo, Ad-Aware, SUPERAntispyware, and ThreatFire) run more lightly than Kaspersky Internet Security 2009, which I had before on my laptop, as the ONLY security program...

8. Marcusdmac

Marcusdmac Registered Member

Hi there, I would add Threatfire as its light and highly rated. How about adding keyscrambler and surfing through a sandboxed internet session like spacespace or sandboxie (or the paid defensewall)?

Keyscrambler Personal firefox extension: http://www.qfxsoftware.com/
    http://www.artificialdynamics.co.uk/content/products/register-personal.aspx
    http://www.sandboxie.com/

Otherwise yeah all sounds well..

9. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

All the above mentioned security applications would help increase security but I still am convinced that if you do average surfing that as ErikAlbert describes you should have no problems with ESS. In fact if you are not going to push the limits of safe surfing you do not need HIPS

10. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

endorse this, keep it simple

My impression
    - ThreatFire, offers the strongest defense
    - Mamutu, puts the lowest strain on system resources, has net-voting
    - PRSC, is the most quiet of teh three

TF is a stand alone product (including AV element). It rreally offers the most complete/wide/strongest defense at the moment.

Mamutu's net-voting is easy, because you allow/deny based on decisions of others the (community), there is a minimum threshold before this is applied (others feel uncomfortabe with it because your defense can be screwed up by the stupid decisios of others). Mamutu is more or less how the IDS of the build in Windows should have been.

PRSC more or less focusses on being complementary to an AV. It works but focusses mainly on rootkits and bots (just my idea). When you test it as a seperate product it, both TF and Mamutu offer a broader protection. In combination with an AV however I found it quite efficient. I have never seen PRSC generating a fals positive.

I woud say try and choose.

Last edited: May 20, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.