Hi guys

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Boss429, Aug 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boss429

Boss429 Registered Member

Hello guys I am the new guy on the block.

I am completly clueless when it comes to firewalls. As a matter of fact I hated them so much on my old DSL connection I never ran one. I just used a router and stealthed everything. I am switching to cable tomorrow and for some reason I know want a firewall. I have tried a few and i really couldnt figure them out as they were all rule based and this dumb old fart couldnt figure them out and basically locked down my system from the internet.

I am currently experimenting with this one and so far so good.

So far it seems pretty good and easy to use. I am using the enhanced rule set. Is that pretty much the best setting to use? Also I tried to set it up as per the instructions in the sticky at the top of the page but I couldnt find the file to download anywhere. Is that not needed anymore? Is there an up to date tutorial on how to set this bad boy up?

Also I do alot of online gaming. Is there anything special that I should know about that might cause trouble?

Thanks alot guys,
    Tommy

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

the latest beta can be downloaded from this thread.

the tutorial is still applicable however, under Advanced Options, id check teh options for TCP Stateful Packet Inspection and Watch thread injection. optionally u can also check Advanced Mode.

as for gaming, yes there is one obstacle. looknstop is a rules-based firewall so games will usually require rules. the LnS site only has a limited set of rules tho.

3. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I also have a question. I had this installed awhile back and liked it. Can I install it again even though the trial has expired. If I remember correctly it still had some outbound protection after trial. Is that correct?

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

of course u can install it again but i dont know if teh trial would still be over.

also, iirc, after teh trial period, application filtering is disabled.

5. Boss429

Boss429 Registered Member

Guess maybe this one wont be for me then since I play alot of games and dont really have any idea how to write rules.

6. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.