hi guys i just want to know if i accendtly entered a fake website?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by kamy, Jun 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kamy

kamy Registered Member

hi guys i just want to know if i accedently entered a fake website that may have given

free.avg.com how can i check if this site has malware because it is not displaying correctly and looks fake to me can you help

free.avg.com

2. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

3. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

free.avg.com isn't a fake website, which also links to the AVG LinkScanner mentioned in the previous post.

4. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Correct; it's their official site for the Free Edition.

5. kamy

kamy Registered Member

why did it look funny to me i have jpegs if you want to see

6. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Please, let me see them. It may be that, despite the domain is the legit one, that what is being displayed is actually fake. Meaning that either your DNS IPs or your HOSTS file has been hijacked.

7. kamy

kamy Registered Member

8. kamy

kamy Registered Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2009
  9. raven211

To me it just seems the pages are not being loaded completely/correctly. Have you checked for example the free version to see what its executable is named if you try to download it?

10. kamy

kamy Registered Member

hi raven i didnt download anything from there i was just curious why the page was like that? i thought maybe phising

moonblood thought Maybe my DNS IPs or your HOSTS file has been hijacked.

i dont know what that means

11. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

12. raven211

Okay, if you're not interested in the software, I wouldn't bother. :D I would check the downloadable executables for any signs though, or maybe try a different web-browser or see if other sites have similar behavior.

If those things are hijacked (common in spyware and adware), there's a high-risk you get redirected to fake-websites or sites that were not where you were heading. Are you by any chance using IE?

13. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I agree with raven211 when he says it's more like the pages not loading properly.

Which browser do you use? What contents do you block with it?

Do you know how monitor connections with firewall? When entering the domain free.avg.com, which IP is it resolving to? (an IP is a sequence of numbers like 255.255.255.000 (this is just an example)). In this case free.avg.com should resolve to 77.67.44.202. If it doesn't, then if your system has been compromised.

14. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

kamy, if you are using Firefox, with the NoScript add-on, perhaps you need to allow free.avg.com for the page to resolve correctly.

15. kamy

kamy Registered Member

Hi guys im using ie browser so do i not need to investigate this furthero_O if i did not download anything just viewed the page then came back out??

raven i dont seem to be getting redirected and every other site displays fine it was just the avg one ?

plus is firefox safe i have heard its more vulunrable to attacks then internet explorer

moonblood which firewall would this be hardware? and i have no add blocker at the moment i asked about ad block for ie in another post but then i was thinking just get firefox but then the vulunbility argument makes me think again? please advise aand thanks for the help guys

thanks for the safe websites link vijay i will use them too

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  16. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I think you'll find it's the other way round. However, Firefox has had vulnerabilities which have been fixed, and no doubt there will be more in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.