HFS external drive not appearing on windows machine

Discussion in 'HFS for Windows' started by BuffaloBill, Apr 25, 2013.

1. BuffaloBill

BuffaloBill Registered Member

I have a mac formatted HFS+ external drive that I want to edit on a windows machine which is running Paragon HFS+ ,
    However, the hard drive will not appear in windows.
    [it does appear on my mac machine and functions normally]
    I assume with Paragon installed, it should appear. What can I do?
    Thanks.

2. tteravai

tteravai Registered Member

Hi, I'm having the same problem. External mac disk doesn't appear in Exproler, but can be seen and accessed through Disk management. This is quite awkward.

I have 2 other PC:s that are running Macdrive with no such problems.

3. pwnusmaximus

pwnusmaximus Registered Member

Hi, I've been experiencing this as well on my windows 8 machine.

I've attempted uninstalling then re-installing the paragon HFS for windows v10 and nothing seems to have helped. The drive works flawlessly in every mac it goes in, and the windows drive manager can see the drive just fine. However explorer seems unwilling to mount it.

Any tips guys?

4. Jorge Figueroa

Jorge Figueroa Registered Member

This is an old thread but in case it can be useful to someone I am writing what worked for me.

In my case I was using a Windows 7 machine. I connected a HFS formatted USB drive to the PC and Windows installed the device software. I then installed Paragon HFS and restarted. After this the device would appear in DEVICE MANAGER but the drive letter would not appear in Explorer. Attempting to assign a drive letter thru Disk Management resulted in the following error:

"The operation failed to complete because the Disk Management console view is not up-to-date. Refresh the view by using the refresh task. If the problem persists close the Disk Management console, then restart Disk Management or restart the computer."

I tried the resolutions that were suggested in the error above but it still would not work.

SOLUTION
    Open device manager
    Under Disk Drives UNINSTALL the HFS formatted USB disk
    Under Universal Serial Bus controllers UNINSTALL the HFS formatted USB device
    Restart the PC
    When Windows restarts it will reinstall the driver when the device is connected.

5. pwnusmaximus

pwnusmaximus Registered Member

Jorge Figureroa, thanks for the reply however, I fixed it another way:

I discovered the reason mine was not recognizing. I had the HFS+ drive encrypted in Mac OSX Disk Utility. When plugging into a Mac it prompts me to enter the password and then it's good to go. However the paragon software wouldn't (or couldn't) prompt me for a password and so it never initialized.

After reformatting the drive to be non-encrypted HFS+ it worked like a charm.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.