Hey, Paragon Guy... Backup Fail

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by virtualguy, Aug 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. virtualguy

virtualguy Registered Member

Experimenting with 2012 Free. New HP desktop has two internal disk drives. The second drive is mostly for pagefile and backup image storage. First drive has four volumes:

SYSTEM (oem, 100MB, only 23MB used)
    Local Disk (128MB, zero space used)
    OS C: drive (915GB, 32GB used)
    HP_Recovery D: drive (17GB, 15GB used)

I select the entire hard drive (4 GPT volumes) to backup. The Backup Wizard shows size of object to back up at 932 GB, and estimated archive size to be 37 GB. I schedule the task to run 5 minutes later. But, when the backup runs, the total backup folder is only 688MB... not even a whole gigabyte. What's up with that? I have deleted scripts, cleared tasks and run new backups repeatedly, but nothing changes. Obviously, not everything is getting backed up. Why?

VG

2. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

Does the backup complete properly? How much data is used on the entire disk?

3. virtualguy

The backup completes properly. No errors indicated. Total used space on Disk 0 is about 62GB. Disk 1 (backup drive) only has the Windows pagefile and Paragon backup image files on it, totaling 23GB of used space. Again, the estimate archive size is 37 GB. Actual size only 668 MB. I find this puzzling.

4. Paragon_Matt

By default we skip the pagefile, but even beyond that attempt to just back up each partition individually and see if each partition backups up properly.

5. virtualguy

Well, I just did a "Back up now" run to see if it did anything different. This resulted in backup archive files totaling 33.6 GB. This backup routine included a Windows reboot, which doesn't occur when I do a scheduled backup. So, the issue is with running a scheduled backup.

The reason i wanted to run a scheduled backup is so *I* can name my archive instead of letting B&R name it. Why would there be a difference between the schedule and the "Back up now"?

Thanks!

VG

6. Paragon_Matt

It should not be restarting to perform the image, go under tools and settings to make sure hot processing is enabled.

7. Paragon_Matt

Also you may want to make sure the optional Paragon Hot Processing was installed because if your VSS is being used by another process or isn't functioning properly than it will cause that restart as well.

8. virtualguy

How would I know if Paragon Hot Processing was installed? I simply installed the setup file and executed it. Hot processing is enabled in the Backup Wizard. Should I enable *Always use hot processing*, or *only when the partition is locked*?

This is a Win7 Home machine. I notice in Task Manager that the task is setup for Win XP, Server 2003. But, it seems I can't change the task in Task Manager once it's been created in B&R, or it disappears.

9. virtualguy

Should I just omit the SYSTEM and Local Disk from the backup, favoring only the OS [C:] partition from the backup routine? What issues would that present if, God forbid, I had to do a recovery?

Thanks!

VG

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  10. virtualguy

And, now, I'm getting an "Error saving the contents of the page(s)" when I right-click the scheduled backup and select Properties and change the backup schedule. Is this because I'm currently working from a user acct, vs admin account?

11. bgirton

bgirton Registered Member

It sounds like I am having a similar problem. The instance of Paragon Backup & Recovery 12 Home (3 PC license, Windows 7) that I am having problems with does not seem to include Paragon Hot Processing at all. There is no menu item or control that relates to it. The list of backup parameters that shows in the wizard just before running the backup refers to Microsoft VSS.

Backups run after booting to the recovery disk seem to work fine. This is, of course, running completely different software in a Linux environment, so there are no open files on the hard disk. The disk itself is functioning normally, no file system errors or bad sectors. It seems to be an inability to access open files that is screwing things up.

This is not the free software. I am currently working with tech support to solve it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.