Hey Dr. Web Users

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Graystoke, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I installed the trial version of Dr. Web today. Is there any down side to this AV? Is there any configuration options I should be aware of? I'm running it at default settings right now.

There are three Dr. Web icons in the task bar, the SpIDer Guard, Dr. Web Scheduler, and SpIDer Mail. Does the Dr. Web Scheduler need to load at start up in order to run scheduled scans and updates? Is the SpIDer Mail icon supposed to be animated when scanning e-mail? Mine just sits there.

Sorry for all the questions.

Thank you.

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

DrWeb Myths :
    http://support.drweb.com/faq/a15/

forum :
    http://forum.drweb.com/?lng=en

3. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

Yes, those 3 icons (Spider Guard, Spider Mail, and the Scheduler) need to be installed. Some users uninstall the Spider Mail module if they are only using webmails. You can set the Scheduler to update X minutes or to your preference.

Spider Mail icon is animated when you are retrieving emails from your provider. To make sure that your emails are scanned, move your cursor to the Spider Mail icon and a pop-up will display. You should see numbers in there.

Downside? So far I am happy with it. It's very light on the system with adequate amount of signature updates (including weekends). ;)

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Downside?
    For me it was the non-responsive support.

5. Graystoke

I started a full system scan at 8PM PDT. It is now 11:32PM PDT, and the scan is still running. 2.5 hours, 84% done, over 344,000 files. This is the longest it's ever taken to scan my computer by any AV. Not sure I like that.

6. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

It takes quite long to do a full scan of harddrives, compared to the AV I used before DrWeb, and that it cant exclude certain special hidden folders in a scheduled scan. The latter is no bad thing really, I just would like to have the choice to control it. I´ll just do a manual scan when I go to sleep. But these are minor problems. I am this far (using it for a month) very happy with DrWeb.

Wow thats a long time :) Out of curiosity; do you have in your settings that it should scan all file types and archives?

7. Graystoke

Yes, all files. That's what I've done on every AV I've used.

8. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

As you have found, the speed of the on-demand scanner is fairly slow, compared to other AV's.

Archives, IME, CAB files in particular, seem to take a long time to scan. So if you have a lot of archives/packed files, the scan will take a long time as Dr Web has a lot more unpackers than say Command AV. Once you know the files that are causing the slowdown just exclude these from future scans. ( Options> Change Settings-> Paths-> Save Settings). Alternatively, once you know your machine is clean you can turn off archive scanning to speed up the process. Overall, the scanner is slow but effective.

Another recommendation, since you are using Smartmode in SpIDerGuard, is to make sure you check ALL downloads to your computer with right-click scanning and carry out regular on-demand scans.

9. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

You can set the email icon to animate in settings and also you can set to show or not show the email icon and scheduler icon in the taskbar.

10. Graystoke

Thanks everyone. :)

11. sukarof

Does Drweb scan html while surfing?

12. Blackcat

From their Myths page;

13. sukarof

Thanks Blackcat. I tried to find expicit info in the helpfile, but couldnt. Never thought of looking in the myths section tho :) Anyway its good to see. I guess that is a must in any AV nowdays.

14. Blackcat

Dr Web's help-File is not the best for detail!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.