heuristic

Discussion in 'polls' started by sir_carew, Dec 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

Hi :)
    I made a new poll for know what think the people about the antiviruses heuristics.
    I personally think the following:
    NOD32 is the best detecting unknown viruses type Worm (not irc), Boot viruses, and old encrypted viruses.
    McAfee is excellent catching P2P, Irc worms, and malware like hacker tools, etc. Dr.Web heuristic is also excellent. Dr.Web without doubt is the best detecting worms, viruses and trojans type BAT.
    Best Regards.

2. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Sorry, I can't vote on this one.
    First, I feel that I'm missing the point here... Any AV-tool is there to detect and prevent infection. If this tool uses heuristics or a frequently updated quality signature base, I don't care. And yes, I believe there's no chance in my computer being infected by a virus or worm before my av-analysts catch it first and release updated signature files (not using Microsoft tools is good defense too, my personal heuristic quality :D ).

Second, there's no Other option. I don't know the heuristic capabilities of all tools, but I'm missing Norman (wasn't Thunderbyte AV the first to announce heuristics?), eTrust, Avast. I still would not be able to vote, because I can't comment on the heuristic quality of these tools. Who can? Might be a good idea to test all these tools by creating a new virus that's not related to any known virus.

3. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

Hi, My name is also André :D

I personally tested Dr.Web, McAfee, Norton, NOD32 v 2.0, Kaspersky.
    I've a big virus collection with many unknown viruses, and I made my own viruses, obviously I never spread to the people and I only send my creations to the AV companies.
    In P2P, and mass-mailing worms, the best are: NOD, McAfee and Dr.Web.
    In irc worm, both McAfee and dr.web are excellent.
    in viruses type bat, the best is dr.web.
    in macro viruses, mcafee and nod are good, and also for boot viruses.
    I never use eTrust, and Norman, moreover you can't put all the antiviruses in the poll, I selected the AV that I know good, and that I used, except for some. I'm agree that the people's "heuristic" is the best for protect the antiviruses, but I think that the AV's heuristic are more interesting and is more easy to test.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.