Here's what McAfee firewall look like (4.0) for those who wanted to know.

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by notageek, Apr 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

:D
    The site is a must for SPF users IMHO. It's one of my all-time favorites.
    Sometimes in a daring moment I think about installing a truly rule-based firewall (with all the help I can get here, it should be possible), but then I reconsider how using SPF in combination with SSM has never let me down, and start other, less challenging, projects from my TODO list.

Regards,

Pieter

2. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

I meant to say in my post that although bugs are known I'm still a Sygate Pro user and happy with it, although its logging system could be better. ;)

3. notageek

notageek Registered Member

Sygate is a good Firewall. when you put SSM and Sygate together you get good protection. I use them both also.

4. frank

frank Guest

Outpost has the same exact bug. On top of it's more well known bugs, which have never been fixed.

5. notageek

Wow! does anyone know of any Firewall that don't have this problem.

Frank, are you talking about the beta outpost or the older version?

6. root

root Registered Member

Outpost does not have this bug. Outpost can filter localhost and you can make rules for it.
    This issue came up some time back and the best I can understand about using proxys is that you want to allow loopback for all ports, except the port the proxy uses to access the net.
    For instance, with Proxo, allow loop back on all ports except 8080, which Proxo uses if memory serves me correctly.
    This area is not all that familiar to me and I don't use any proxies, so I have not experimented in this area.
    Also, since Outpost version 2, now in beta has had so much code rewritten may deal with this differently and it remains to be seen if anyone finds a problem in this area.

7. notageek

I can't wait to try Outpost 2. :)

8. frank

frank Guest

Yes it does have this bug. Provide an exact rule if you're sure it doesn't.

If you're sure that version 1 doesn't have this bug, i don't understand why you're even bringing up outpost2 dealing with this problem.

9. root

root Registered Member

Frank, I don't use Proxo or any other proxy program. I am an Admin and beta tester for Agnitum. Therefore I cannot speak from personal experience.
    Some time ago the issue of using Proxo with a firewall came up and after trying a lot of different things, to the best of my knowledge, it was decided that it was safe to use Proxo with loopback enabled for all ports but 8080. (I think thats the port Proxo uses) The last I heard, there were people using Proxo and Outpost with no problems.
    When you stated "Outpost has the same exact bug. On top of it's more well known bugs, which have never been fixed"
    I did not feel that was a fair assessment of the issue.
    Outpost can make rules for loopback as well as or better than any other firewall. There is no bug. There is an issue that is somewhat akin to the leak tests. Is more about design features than bugs.
    I and a couple of other Mods here discussed this at length some time ago, and NIS was discussed as well. I will admit I am not the most technical minded person around, and this issue is a confusing one.
    As to why I brought up version 2 - Outpost has had much of its code rewritten. It now uses Stateful Packet inspection among other things that may be of some benefit with this issue. That's all.
    So yes, Outpost had some serious bugs in version 1, and all have been fixed in version 2 as far as I know. If it turns out that there is a bug related to using proxy programs, it will be dealt with. There never was an outstanding bug about this issue that had been turned in as far as I know.
    I hope I have explained what I meant when I said there is no bug. An issue, yes, but one of design in my opinion.

10. frank

frank Guest

I think my statement was fair and accurate. I brought up outpost's other well known bugs because they haven't been fixed. And i feel this proxy bug won't be fixed either. (Care to place a wager?) I'm more than happy to be corrected on this bug, by you, agnitum, or anyone else.
    If calling it an "issue" makes you happy, knock yourself out. But i think most users are smart enough to realize that what's been described in this thread is a security hole bug.

11. notageek

I found out how to block port 137 in McAfee firewall. After playing with it on my other system I found a way to block it. It's rather annoying to do it but you have to until a patch comes along. All you have to do is open the firewall by right clicking on the icon in system tray. After that click McAfee firewall/ run firewall. click on stop firewall. than click run firewall. This will block port 137. Yes as far as I know you have do it everytime you start McAfee firewall. Now i need to work on not letting programs have server rights. I hate when Firewalls make everyone program have server rights.

12. Madsen DK

Madsen DK Registered Member

Good info notageek :)
    Regards
    Ole

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.