Here is my take

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Apr 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Folks, what will it take for people to realize we may way to much of this stuff. Case in point the latest AV-C test where Avira slipped a tad. When did 99.2 really mean your daughter was safe at night, over the 98.2. She aint. We have broken this science down into tenths when it comes to our desperate attempts to think we have patched every hole in the dike. This is a feable approach and is like playing with a lit stick of dynamite.

I did not choose what I have based on "The Best" or "Tests" or even that I like it to be perfectly honest. I could have stuck any product on my computers and been basically equally protected. My final choice? I drew frigging straws from 5 vendors and Avast got lucky.

I like Avast and quite a few other products here and would have no issue using them. I stopped to ponder the thought of how much time in my life I have wasted dumping one product for another based on 4 samples that were tested and posted that day. It really is ashame to think that is my highlight, of the afternoon.

I really can hope that others see that our fake loyality to products is only as good as the perverbial "Last Wilders Post." Because that is how i have acted and most of you have to. A wise man once told be if you dont do anything else in life, at least "Be Smart."

Never knew what he meant, but I do now. Peace to all of you and sitting here just sweating, waiting on the, next, test.:(

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I like reading tests, but they don't really affect my choices for security programs.

3. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

tests also show how little separates them

4. allexif

allexif Registered Member

Good thinking trjam. I also think that if you have a product and you didn't had any problems with it you should stick with it, there's no sense in changeing it because of some tests. Cheers :)

5. clocks

clocks Registered Member

So you it is safe to assume you will be using Avast for the next 1-2 years? lol

6. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Over the years, my choice of anti-malware has never been down to AV test results because, for the most part, they don't represent real life situations. They are tests conducted in labs where the collection of malware is like nothing we'd ever see or own, and they test against products most of us wouldn't have on our systems at any one time [in reference to the list of FPs].

7. drkoopz

drkoopz Registered Member

Stopped caring about test results years ago. I just go with what is trusted and allows my systems to run quickly. Example: Everybody here at Wilders seems to shudder when they hear the word Mcafee, however I've got three installations and a 2 year subscription to all my family PC's and have never had an infection or worry. People just go overboard with security products, simple as that.

8. Sher

Sher Registered Member

@trjam: So, have you now finally dumped Avira?

9. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

There are products that out-perform other products (in the MRG Flash tests, for example) by 60 percentage points. MBAM holds a 98% PASS rating, while SAS is looking at 38% PASS rating. Your point about breaking this science down into tenths is lost on results like that.
    Yes and no. You have probably said yourself many times that it is something you enjoy. There are hundreds of other things you could have been doing that someone, somewhere would classify as a waste of time. A fair share of members here at Wilders would tell you straightaway that they have benefited to some degree from your constant software shuffling. Just don't be too hard on yourself.

10. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I think that goes for a lot of things. I mean, look at what happens when the "browser wars" start back up. Flame wars start up over IE vs FF vs Chrome vs whatever, benchmarks of speeds that are barely measurable with human eyes are touted as proof positive one browser is better than the other. This stuff is going to happen when you get a bunch of enthusiasts together at a forum that deals with what Wilders does. You have full blown idiots here and you have people who know what they are talking about, and neither group is ever going to always agree.

I have my opinion of certain vendors and software, but I couldn't care less who or what you use. It's not my system nor my life, and any decision someone else makes over what software they use or vendor they like, isn't going to do one single thing to me.

@Page42. Your point about percentage ratings is entirely sound. However, when dealing with something like the Flash tests, we're talking a few malware out of (if we go by what vendors say) hundreds of thousands or millions. Yes, I get that these few are often the "latest and greatest", but the chances of seeing these few out in the wild, are extremely, extremely slim. For everything else, just about everybody catches them.

11. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

trjam always has a fresh approach and his own ideas...that's good! I'm glad he is with the Avast team now (sounds like NASCARS). I keep gravitating back to Avast myself, primarily because of the auto-sandbox and safe zone. Tomorrow is another day!

12. carat

carat Guest

I assume you mean 1-2 days :D

13. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I do believe test are important when conducted properly. There are several good AV's on the market that have had very little difference in detection ratios, but what I find more important for myself is the ability of those AV's to block what they have detected. I know of some AV's that have had very good detection ratios, but still have had a history of allowing the machine to be compromised by malware that they detected.

14. codylucas16

codylucas16 Registered Member

You have an addiction. It's really not hard to install a product and leave it there without being overly paranoid. As long as you run some scans every once and a while, any product will do good for you. Re-imaging your hard drive 5 times a day will amount to nothing more than a reduced lifespan of your hard drive.

The testing sites themselves say that the scores of the tests are not 100% of what you should be looking for a product, and that is true. You should use a product you are comfortable with and find something better to do with your time than obsessing over antivirus protection.

/rant over

15. Kyle1420

Kyle1420 Registered Member

You don't have to give up your addiction completely - You could play around with them in VM's :argh:
    There are many things you can do on the computer, Not just switching av's every couple of days..Maybe there is another hobby you can take up?

IMO, Since you like checking out AV's\AM's. Perhaps make a website and post reviews on there :argh: There aren't many non-biased people that do this...and since you love\hate everything you may be a good reviewer :D + if you get a lot of visiters you might be able to get some sort of commission if people buy software through your site for some pocket money :thumb:

That way you can have your cake and eat it too :D

16. Houley456

Houley456 Registered Member

Thats a good idea Trjam....I would trust your reviews....

17. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

tests mean very little, real life use is the real test, you'll know if its right or not...

18. blasev

blasev Registered Member

If its a final decision we'll wait until next year, meanwhile we do have jmonge :D

19. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

+1. :thumb: :D :D :D

20. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

I'm pleased you've found peace, trjam, and I must say that you have provided much entertainment for me (and I'm pretty sure, many others) with your constant changes and setups ;) .

I try to keep my setup simple, smooth running and non-intrusive. After repeatedly trying different setups I've kind of settled on a 'core' that I always go back to . It may not be the best, but it fills my criteria with what I want. No, MSE doesn't detect 99.9% of threats, but it also has an extremely low rate of false positives and to me, that's important. I don't see the point in running something so heavy and complicated that it makes using your machine a miserable experience.

Enjoy your new-found freedom, trjam :thumb: .

21. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

I really share your ideas, I do look at antivirus products in exactly the same way. I do, and think everybody should, base my preferences on subjective feelings and past experiences (regarding usability, user interface and pc impact).
    I only use tests for categorising antivirus products, in the end the best known vendors are in the top-tier (AV-Comparatives Advanced+).
    When I install antivirus products on my pc I never test them against malware, just how it and my pc behave. However in the end I always return to ESET.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2011
  22. yongsua

yongsua Registered Member

Agree.Same as me.I repeatedly trying different setups but still go back to ESET and Avast! although there are not be the best.

23. sportsfan7700

sportsfan7700 Registered Member

Fort Worth, Texas USA "Where the West Begins"
    I am using NIS..Because it hasnt given me a problem. I've also used ESET and Avast. I use what works for me. I could care less about tests.

I plan to purchase a 2 yr Vipre license to use with the PC in a few days because of trjam's wonderful generosity and Vipre's as well. I think after NIS runs out and depending on how it performs, I'll use it for the life of the pc. For me, it's all about finding the best deals and trying things out..and if they work, sticking to them..

24. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Nice setup, trjam! :argh:

You were never alone, I change my setup to from time to time. ;)

25. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

I do watch tests but that doesn't affects my choice. Thats why I am running MSE 2, Inbuilt FW, UAC & IE on Win 7 & RIS 2011, IE on Win XP. I had uninstalled RIS coz its not freeware outside china but reinstalled coz I find it suitable Internet Security Suite for me & waiting for Rising staff to convert my freeware RIS to trial coz I am running it outside china.

But may be their radar is unable to detect me, must say Rising FW is doint its job perfectly & has stealthed me;)

Thanxx
    Naren

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.