Help!

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by russellzwatermelon, Oct 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. russellzwatermelon

russellzwatermelon Registered Member

I was reading the replies to this post and I've tried spywareblaster and adaware. I tried overriding the cookies as well and nothing seems to help. My homepage recently changed from yahoo.com to about:blank and I've had pop ups pop up as to where before I never had pop ups. I don't know what to do can someone help me please!?! Everytime I set my homepage back to yahoo it ends up going back to about:blank and I don't know how to keep it from doing that.
    Thank you

2. kka

kka Guest

Welcome to the evergrowing group of hijacker victims, russel :-(

1) You may try to run CoolWebShredder, version 2.0 (find it at majorgeeks.com). It may and may not work.

2) You may try Hijack This! (by the same author, merijn) and remove the browser helper object that sets your homepage to about:blank. The problem may be back in on reboot, however...

3) You may download and install Spybot S&D, open up tools, then change the listed home- and search pages. Again, the problem may be back on reboot...

I recommed you erase all temp files, all cookies, clean your cache, run adaware and reboot, run AdAware again. I managed to clean out about:blank from my computer but I can't remember exactly how I did it. I still have a pest lurking inside and still experience re-directions and strange things, like not being able to connect to SWB's download server.

I'm sorry if this maybe wasn't of too much help. Just trying...

3. scott lang

scott lang Registered Member

kka has a good suggestion. the hjt should find the browser jacker thats redirecting you. like he said, have it fix it. but before you do any of this go to pcpitstop and post a thread there with a copy of the hjt scan results. they will more than likely tell you to go into safe mode first. then clean out the temp cache and cookies folders. dont delete the folders just the contents. the run hjt and have it fix the browser jacker. the reboot to normal mode run hjt again and see if it returns. if not you should be ok. if your not sure which one you need to fix , run the scan save it then you can go to, i know pcpitstop does hjt reading, go to pcpitstop and post a reply, after registering with them, its free, and post a thread there. to post the hjt there just go to where the hjt scan was saved, select select all from the edit command then right click on the screen, select copy then in the post right click and paste. leave a comment as to whats going on and someone there will look over the hjt scan and tell you exactly what you need to do. they have helped me they can help you also.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2004
  4. russellzwatermelon

Ok, thank you, how do I go into safe mode?

5. scott lang

theres a couple ways. you can:

System Configuration Utility: If you try the System Configuration Utility and cannot start its dialog box, use the F8 method instead. If the System Configuration Utility method is not listed for your operating system, the utility is not available in that operating system.
    F8 key: Using the F8 key can be more difficult than using the System Configuration Utility because you must press the F8 key at just the right time. If the F8 method does not work, repeat the steps, but press the F8 key more quickly, or press it several times. If the F8 key still does not work, use the System Configuration Utility method instead. On some older computers, the F8 key method does not work because the computer has disabled the F8 key for this purpose or the computer is designed to use a different key

depends on your os. do you have a sys. conf. ut? if not then the f8 way is what you can use. like stated, but it has to be hit at the right time. heres some other os ways:
    windows 95
    To use the F8 method
    Restart the computer.
    Watch the screen while it is black. When you see "Starting Windows 95," immediately press the F8 key. Windows starts in Safe mode

and heres some other os ways also.

Windows 98/Me
    Windows 98/Me includes the System Configuration Utility. If you can start the computer normally into Windows, this is the easiest--and the recommended way--to restart the computer in Safe mode.

To use the System Configuration Utility method
    Close all open programs.
    Click Star > Run. The Run dialog box appears.
    As shown in this illustration, type msconfig and then click OK.

In the System Configuration Utility, click "Advanced." (Windows Me will look a bit different than the illustration.)

In the Advanced Troubleshooting Settings dialog box, check Enable Startup Menu, as is shown here. Click OK. Click OK again when the System Configuration Utility reappears.

You will be prompted to restart the computer. Click Yes. The computer will restart in Safe mode. (This can take several minutes.)
    Perform the troubleshooting steps for which you are using Safe Mode.
    When you are finished with troubleshooting in Safe mode repeat steps 1-6, but in step 5, uncheck "Enable Start-up Menu."
    Close all programs and restart the computer as you normally would.

To use the F8 method
    Restart the computer.
    As the computer restarts, press and hold down the F8 key until the Windows 98 startup menu appears.
    Choose Safe mode from the startup menu, and then press Enter. Windows starts in Safe mode.

Windows 2000

Windows 2000
    Windows 2000 does not include the System Configuration Utility.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Note: Some IT departments or computer manufacturers may include the System Configuration Utility as part of a custom Windows 2000 installation. They could include either Windows 98/Me or Windows XP version as either will run on Windows 2000. (This use of the System Configuration Utility is not supported by Microsoft.) If you can start Windows 2000 normally, and the System Configuration Utility is installed on your computer, follow the instructions for Windows 98/Me or XP (depending on your version). Otherwise, continue with the instructions in this section.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To use the F8 method
    If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power.
    Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on.
    When you see the black-and-white Starting Windows bar at the bottom of the screen, start tapping the F8 key. The Windows 2000 Advanced Options Menu appears.
    Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected. In most cases, it is the first item in the list and is selected by default. (If it is not selected, use the arrow keys to select it.)
    Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode. This can take a few minutes.
    When you are finished with all troubleshooting, close all programs and restart the computer as you normally would.

Windows XP

Windows XP

Note:
    Due to the nature of Safe mode in Windows XP, it is not possible to install software while in Safe mode.
    When you finish the troubleshooting or removal procedure, if you are using the first (recommended) method, you must reenable Normal mode. Until you do this, the computer will continue to start in Safe mode.

Windows XP includes the System Configuration Utility. If you can start the computer normally and get into Windows, this is the easiest--and the recommended way--to restart the computer in Safe mode.

To use the System Configuration Utility method
    Close all open programs.
    Click Start, and then click Run. The Run dialog box appears.
    As shown in this illustration, type msconfig and then click OK.

The System Configuration Utility appears, as shown in the following illustration. Check the "/SAFEBOOT" option, and then click OK.

You then see the prompt to restart the computer. Click Restart.

The computer restarts in Safe mode. (This can take several minutes.)
    Perform the troubleshooting steps for which you are using Safe Mode.
    When you are finished with troubleshooting in Safe mode repeat steps 1-5, but in step 4, uncheck "/SAFEBOOT"
    Close all programs and restart the computer as you normally would.

To use the F8 method
    Use this method only if Windows XP is the only operating system installed on your computer.
    Start Windows, or if it is running, shut Windows down, and then turn off the computer.
    Restart the computer. The computer begins processing a set of instructions known as the Basic Input/Output System (BIOS). What is displayed depends on the BIOS manufacturer. Some computers display a progress bar that refers to the word BIOS, while others may not display any indication that this process is happening.
    As soon as the BIOS has finished loading, begin tapping the F8 key on your keyboard. Continue to do so until the Windows Advanced Options menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
    Using the arrow keys on the keyboard, scroll to and select the Safe mode menu item, and then press Enter.

Windows as part of a multiboot system

Windows as part of a multiboot system
    Use this method ONLY if you have multiple operating systems installed on your computer.
    Restart the computer. The computer begins processing a set of instructions known as the Basic Input/Output System (BIOS). What is displayed depends on the BIOS manufacturer. Some computers display a progress bar that refers to the word BIOS, while others may not display any indication that this process is happening.
    When the Boot loader menu (list of the available operating systems) appears, use the arrow keys on the keyboard to select the version Windows that you want to safe boot into.
    Press Enter, and then immediately begin tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options menu appears.
    Using the arrow keys on the keyboard, scroll to and select the Safe mode menu item, and then press Enter.

depending on the os just follow the instruction i listed and you should make it into safe mode to do the scans and such i mentioned.

6. russellzwatermelon

thank you very much!! That information was very informative I will go ahead and try it. Thanks!!

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

You want to be very careful messing around with HJT. If you delete the wrong item you could just kill your computer, you might want to go to one of the sites at the link that still do HJT log repair HJT check

bigc

8. scott lang

that is why i mentioned to go to pcpitstops forums. they do hjt over there. thats where i got help on mine. and yes your are abosolutely right about screwing up the computer. thats why i mentioned going to there. they could look over the hjt and tell him where the jacker was to delete. and part of the steps include going to safe mode which he asked about. i happened to find that info and pasted it off symantecs site. i found a link to it.

9. russellzwatermelon

Thank you all for your help I tried the highjack this and it seems to have worked. Thanks once again!

10. scott lang

no problem just be careful using hjt. if you do make a booboo and something messes up you can restore it using the hjt backup, in most cases. there is the ocasional listing that wont restore. i am glad it worked out for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.