Help!

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Elawen, May 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elawen

Elawen Registered Member

My system is Win98. I have an unidentified worm/trojan/virus running around my computer. There are two files in the Windows/TEMP folder of my computer. One is RemCO44.exe, which has been around for sometime. The other is pchCO25.exe which was created today.
    Everytime I try to delete either of them I get the messages : "Explorer has experienced an error and will now shut down" and "If this problem persists, please restart your computer". Restarting doesn't help. After using HouseCall, I caught a virus "JS IESTART.PS" but those files still remain.
    I tried deleting the entire TEMP folder but there are these tmp files which are "Access Denied" so I cant delete them.

What do I doooooo :'( ?!

2. Storm

Storm Registered Member

Hi Elawen!

The first thing you could do is scanning in SAFE MODE
    When you power up your computer, hold F8 and choose "Safe mode", if you want to scan with an online VIrus scanner choose "Safe mode with NetworK"

Then repeat the scan...
    After the scan is finished, you can then try to clean the TEMP directory again, normally this baddies do not run in safe mode, so the files should not be locked...

If all this does not help, follow this instructions:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=15913

Post your Hijackthis Log and wait for one of the Spywarefighter-Gurus here to analyze :)

Good Luck
    Storm

3. Elawen

Elawen Registered Member

Thanks for the help Storm :)

I tried using safe mode to get rid of those programs. Managed to get rid of RemCO44.exe but pchCO25.exe still exists with a couple of tmp files. None of the virus programs caught them.

4. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

ELWEN

It appears by your postings that you may not have any program that cleans the temp folders..index dat folder etc.... if not you maybe should consider getting one.......there are folders that cannot be cleaned while a system is running...access denied.....and there are hidden folders also.....this is considered a privacy risk....plus.......
    you can get such a cleaning program most often for free.....the one by javacool MRUBLASTER is nice.....used with yet another good cleaner most folders get cleaned........
    Instead of suggesting any particular program I'll bow out an allow others to offer suggestions......there are several for win98

aka:snowman

5. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

Since you not be in a position to wait.....consider the below program:

http://www.igorshpak.net

System Security Suite (3S) is the program to remove internet tracks and junk files from your computer. It allows you to delete Cookies, clear Internet Explorer Cache, delete index.dat Files, clear Typed URLs, Windows Temp Folder and much more. You can also specify custom folder locations with file masks, which will be cleaned in addition to the selected items. In addition, the program allows you to view and optionally remove programs that launch automatically at Windows startup as well as Browser Helper Objects.

Also, if you don't have a trojan scanner you should consider getting one immediately....even if just a trial version. Its foolish to make an attempt to clean a trojan or virus on one's own......an should be left to the pro's

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.