Help!

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by SecurityFan, Jan 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SecurityFan

SecurityFan Registered Member

Hi,

I am running Norton Firewall and AV along with TrojanHunter and GOBACK. My computer was running on the Internet for several hours with the Firewall turned off.:eek: :gack: When I realized this I re-booted and used GOBACK to restore to a point in time before the firewall was turned off.

After this I ran an AV scan and a TrojanHunter scan and they were clean. I also used Security Task Manager to look for unknown processes. Everything seemed normal. Port Explorer 2.0 also said there were no strange hidden processes.

Is it likely everything is OK? By using GOBACK did I undo any bad things that may have made their way to my PC??

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Are you behind a firewalled router? If so you have nothing to worry about.
    If not then i suggest you download a-squared antimalware or superantispyware and do a scan and see what comes up.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Sounds OK. Besides, running a few hours without a firewall is not a disaster.
    Mrk

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I definitely wouldn't want to test that theory :) I've seen a few computers hacked within minutes of being on the internet unprotected.

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Probably machines running SP1 still and AV database from 7 months ago, surfing all over the place with IE. If your system has no open ports, for example common service ports stealthed by ISP or no services listening on these ports, the chances of a hit by random probe are not that high.

The man restored his system. He scanned the machine. Nothing to worry about.

Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.