HELP! Zemana Uninstall Problem

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by TomAZ, Jun 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

I'm not sure why, but I've had lots of trouble with Zemana since installing version 1.9.3.169. I've tried to uninstall it, but have had major problems -- not a clean uninstall at all. In fact, it never uninstalled properly or completely. However, after working at it for quite some time, I was finally able to "basically uninstall" most of the program, but I still have several AntiLogger related entries in my registry. And there is one very persistent Startup item that absolutely cannot be deleted or removed (AntiLogger.exe /minimized) -- probably a registry related item as well.

Any thoughts as to how can I get this mess cleaned up?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  2. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Hi Tom, just a couple of ideas. Try, if you haven't, something like Autoruns, Hijack this or CCleaner to get rid of the Startup item. If that doesn't do it, maybe reinstalling, rebooting and uninstalling in safe mode gets it done.

Good luck man

Bo

3. itman

itman Registered Member

Yeah, this version doesn't uninstall clean. I even used Revo Uninstaller and there were both files and registry keys left over on my WIN 7 x64 SP1 box.

I suspect your main culprit is a hidden antilogger.sys driver. It was on my PC.

Go into device manager -> view and unhide files. Then look for antilogger.sys under non-plug and play drivers section. Uninstall it and reboot. That should be the fix for the majority of your problems.

I am really peeved at Zemana about this because that hidden driver totally borked a Privatefirewall installation I attempted after I uninstalled Zemana.

4. itman, thanks for the info. I've got 283 days left on my Zemana Antilogger, I'm not going to renew the license so your information will be usable.

5. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

All I see is a driver "AntiLog32" -- is this what you're referring to?

6. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

That's what I have.

ScreenShot_Zemana_v1.9.3.169_System32_new driver_created_01.jpg

ScreenShot_Zemana_v1.9.3.169_System32_new driver_created_02.jpg

7. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Before you start hacking away trying to remove thing manually (which can often cause more harm than good), do what Bo Elam suggests - re-install Zemana, then reboot into safe mode and attempt to uninstall. Manual removal should only ever be a last resort.

8. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

9. itman

itman Registered Member

Yes, that's the one.

Also, do take a restore point before uninstalling just to be on the safe side.

10. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

What kind of potential trouble can you run into just trying to uninstall the driver?

11. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

If you use Firefox check useragent in about:config (search for useragent) and reset.
    (i can not speak for IE)
    Zemana has that annoying feature to change useragent in firefox.

12. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Just uninstalling a driver, probably nothing. But elsewhere Zemana will have created new registry values, perhaps deleted or changed some others, and done the same with files etc etc. Just uninstalling a driver could leave you with a whole mess of other leftovers on your PC. It's your choice though.

13. itman

itman Registered Member

Scoobs has a point. In honesty, I not only uninstalled the antilogger driver but I also scrubbed my registry and hard drive of any Zemana remenants.

A couple of more safer options for you to would try in the order listed are:

1. Instead of uninstalling, right click on antilogger and select properties. Click on the driver tab. Change startup type to disabled. Click on OK.

2. If 1. doesn't help, try to contact Zemana support for a removal utility program or instructions. Good luck here. Zemana never so much acknowleged my support requests, let alone respond to them.

3. If no go on 2., try the folks at bleepingcomputer.com or geekstogo.com. They can help you with tools like combofix and the like that can remove residuals from an uninstall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.