Help with video problem.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by power_man, Jan 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. power_man

power_man Registered Member

I recently wiped my HD and got rid of NIS. I upgraded to Firefox 2.0 and WMP 11. I never had a problem before, but now any video I download is super dark. I can hardly see it. Audio is fine. It does it on any video and on WMP and Real player. What is causing this? I have never had such problem before. Any help is appreciated.

XP home, changed to NOD32 and Zone Alarm, Spysweeper, no router.

2. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Good move tossing Norton. I doubt that your security up-grade is responsible for your video issues.
    You mention wiping your HD. Did you re-install Win XP? Ifso, did you install your video cards drivers? Do you have the proper CODECs you need to view the files?
    With regards to CODECs try ffdshow: http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/ffdshow.cfm

hth,

...screamer

3. power_man

Thanks for your response. I don't know what codecs are. Will your link help? I didn't want to download till I knew what it was. I do know they are running. I also knew it had to be something simple like that.

Yes I did reinstall XP. I made an image of my clean install and put it on my other HD and it does it too. You tube and my cable home page site works, but any other site I go to that has video they all do the same thing. Thanks for your help

4. power_man

Oh ya, I did upgrade all my drivers. Bios, video card, monitor, everything. Thanks

5. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Simple and Easy solution power man :cautious: In your WMP 11 right click on the icon at the top left of the player and scroll to view enhancements video settings and adjust the hue/brightness/saturation/contrast to your prefernces.
    This will clear up the darkness :cool:

6. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

7. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Shredding Buggers :eek:

8. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

what really hurts is I can't listen to my favorite local radio station online without the bloody thing :cautious:

I mean there are mp3 or ogg streams, shoutcast or even real media streams (with Real Alternative of course) but no I have to use WMP to listen. :mad:

Im doing without till my Linux VMware box is online w\ W2K & (sigh) WMP :gack:
    (and sending several hot emails)

9. power_man

Well then why does it do it in Real Player too? Actually, I looked for setting stuff but didn't see it. So I will give it a look when I get off work in the morning. Thanks

10. power_man

As far as the CODECS, I am clueless to all this stuff. The is tons of stuff out there I didn't even know about. I will install the link given when I get home tomorrow. I'm sure the sugestions given will brighten my day. Thanks guys.

11. screamer

screamer Registered Member

From Wiki: A codec is a device or program capable of performing encoding and decoding on a digital data stream or signal.

I D/L AVI, MPG... to my NAS box and w/o proper CODEC I experience banding, audio / video are out of sync...

You can also check for up-dated drivers for your video card.

hth,

...screamer

12. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Inmatrix Guide :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.