Help With Updates

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware beta forum' started by r4v3n, Mar 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r4v3n

r4v3n Registered Member

Hello all,

I'm using the ewido command line scanner which @ the moment is in beta and using *only* the command line executable, the scan engine dll file and the signature files to scan my virus collection along with other scanners and give me the scan result.

Since this is an automated environment with multiple "Command Line Scanners", i need the whole thing to be automated. But, i'm unable to unpack the signatures.exe file which i download from the internet and this HAS to be installed manually. This is a nullsoft file which contains the dats and doesnt allow a command extract/unpack option. I was wondering if Ewido releases the signatures in a zip file or in anyother format instead, since i cant get to unpack this nullsoft installer and dont want to do manual updates all the time.

Note that i dont have the GUI scanner installed since this is to scan my collection only.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

-Raven

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I am personally not aware of manual download other than the ones contained @ Updates for ewido anti-malware. However....with ewido un-installed @ the moment due to a problem I am working on....I was able to execute the ewido-signatures-20060303.exe file and it extracted fine on this end. Once I selected Ok in the first pic it asked for a location and away it went.

Attached Files:

3. r4v3n

r4v3n Registered Member

Yeah. Thats what i did initially. Installed the AV on a vmware image. Then took only the command line scanner and the scan engine dll file and moved them to my host machine which has *only* command line scanners of around 20 other antivirus/spyware.

Then i downloaded the sigs and got the same error. I went ahead and pointed it to my folder where i have ewido along with other command line scannners and it extracted it fine.

BUT... this has to be done manually :(
    All my other command line scanners on the hand hand , like , pest patrol, adaware, mcafee, kaspersky and so on..are fully automated in terms of downloading updates and scanning files.

Once i parse a file using a command line i would get a result similar to what you see on "Virus total" website.

So, was wondering if Ewido posted their DATs the same way too, so the whole thing can be automated.

4. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

It should work like that:

ewido-signatures-20060303.exe /S /D=c:\PathToScanner

5. peter.ewido

6. r4v3n

r4v3n Registered Member

Nope. That does'nt seem to work. It still opens the dialogue box and asks for the location and such.

I just went through the Nullsoft support forum. The command line parameters are right, but apparently these switches need to be enabled when the package is created for them to work. They said that these parameters might not be enabled and hence the commandline extraction of DAT files doesnt work :mad:

Heres the link :

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=237014&highlight=command line

Any ideas ??

7. peter.ewido

I just tested it again, they do work... Keep in mind they are case sensitive :)

8. r4v3n

r4v3n Registered Member

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your quick feedbacks. They have been helpful.
    It was my fault, i ignored the upper case & now it seems to work :)

I hate to keep bothering you, but , i have another problem. :(

I dont have the entire software installed, and use just the commanline scanner executable, the dat files and scan engine to scan my virus collection. But when i run the ewido-signatures-current.exe in silent mode, it seems to extract the DATs fine, but throws an error message in the end by popping up a windows saying "Ewido Scanner not Found".

Any ways to supress this warning ?

Thank you so much once again. You have been very patient.

9. r4v3n

r4v3n Registered Member

Any help on this ?

10. peter.ewido

Fixed in the new installers :)

11. r4v3n

r4v3n Registered Member

WOW !!

Thank you SO much :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.