Help with unallocated space after the restoration

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by sarutaro, Oct 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sarutaro

sarutaro Registered Member

A week ago, I made a full backup of C-drive (80GB WD brand) with TI. The backup image (homec.tib; ca. 12 GB) was stored in a separate D-hard drive. Today, while looking the inside of my computer, C-drive was damaged. The computer was totally inoperative. So the C-drive was removed and replaced with a brand new Maxtor 250 GB hard drive. Using Acronis rescue boot disk, the C-drive image (homec.tib) was restored completely to the new Maxtor hard drive. It took about 10 min and the restoration was perfect and error-free. Now, I am able to operate the computer as before. So I was very impressed to see that Acronis TI performed as exactly promised to do so.

The new Maxtor C-drive (250 gb) now has a 75 GB restored partition (NTFS) and 159 GB unallocated space. Please advise me how to convert the 159 GB unallocated space into ntfs and merge with the existing 75GB partition. Another option is to format 159GB space into ntfs and maintain as a separate partition (for programs and data). In this case I wish to learn how to format the unallocated space. I have no experince in having multiple partitions on a signle drive. TIA. Sarutaro

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

When you restored the image to the new drive, you must have missed the screen on which you can increase the size of the partition to fill as much of the new disk as you want C to have.

Repeat the restore and look for the screen which shows Space before and Space after. Make the space before 0 and decrease the space after to increase the size of C. If you make the space after 0 also, the entire new drive will be C.

If you don't repeat the restorre, you will need an other disk manager to merge the current C with the unallocated space.

3. Allen L.

Allen L. Registered Member

Get Partition Magic and use it to resize partitions. It is the safest way in my opinion. You can use it on the unallocated space to convert to "D: data partition" in any size you want and also decrease the size of your active partition to about 30GB. NTFS is no problem either. You won't have to bother with a 're-install' of your image.

...Allen

Last edited: Oct 11, 2005
  4. sarutaro

Thanks for your comment. This morning, the unallocated space was formatted and partitioned. This problem was now solved.

After restoring the old c-drive image to a new C-drive, it was working fine until I went to bed last night. The new C-drive functioned just like the old C-drive. When I booted the computer this morning, it was a slow process. Wall paper was right back on but there was a long lag before the appearance of desktop icons. A "run32dll.exe" error ws prompted twice. Since then, the computer was operating fine. I am wondering whether run32.dll is susceptible to corruption or not? sarutaro

5. Allen L.

Allen L. Registered Member

Run32dll.exe can be a trojan. Found this in Google:

"run32dll.exe is a part of the PAL PC Spy application. It is a key recorder and screen capture utility that monitors everything that happens on your computer. This process should be removed to ensure your personal privacy."

I did a search and I don't find such a file on my WinXP Pro OS.

You might want to do a virus and spyware scan.

...Allen

6. sarutaro

I also googled. I was suprised to see it as a possible virus. I checked run32dll on my office computer also. There was none. My home computer was indeed well-armed with all kinds of anti-missile programs. But I doubt that is a trojan. But when I go home, I will shoot that stuff with anti-virus programs.

BTW, somebody emailed me on run32dll. So I copied it below for your information:

Question:
    Why do I receive a run32dll.exe error when I open Control Panel in Windows XP or Windows 2000?

Answer:
    You might receive such an error if the run32dll.exe file is corrupt or if a virus (e.g., W32/SirCam@MM) is present on your machine. To correct the error, begin by ensuring that you have an up-to-date virus checker and perform a full scan of your system. Next, to restore run32dll.exe, insert your XP or Win2K installation CD-ROM, then go to a command prompt and type

expand <CD-ROM:>\i386\rundll32.ex_ %Systemroot%\rundll32.exe

to extract the version of the file to your system. After you extract the file, restart your machine.

It soudns like rundll32.exe is an integral file of WinXP. What do you think?

sarutaro

7. brad99

brad99 Registered Member

rundll32.exe sure, but not (!) run32dll.exe :eek:

8. sarutaro

I will closely watch next time when a similar error pops up.
    sarutaro

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.