Help with Tcalls (voip)

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by jhun100, Feb 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhun100

jhun100 Registered Member

I'm running the trial version of ESS in may laptop and desktop. I am very much satisfied with ESS' performance as I have tried several security suites. I am considering buying the software but I have one problem, I cannot run the tcalls voip service that used to work before installing ESS. I tried to uninstall ESS from my desktop pc and everything works just fine. The tcalls programs is already in the "allowed" or "trusted sites" but it doesn't work. I tried to swith off the firewall but same story. Can anybody help me please cause I really like this software and my trial version is expiring very soon.

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You should have the firewall in Interactive mode and create a rule for this application . Most likely it requires incoming access which is by default blocked by the firewall.

Open the user interface (GUI) . Enter the Advanced Setup Tree (F5)

1. Navigate to Personal Firewall. Choose Interactive Mode

2. In Personal firewall -> IDS and advanced options , enabled logging . Press OK.

3. Open Personal firewall > Rules and zones > Zone and rule setup
    Choose "Toggle detailed view of all riles" (if already not set to this)
    Press Apply button now.

Check all the default rules of ESS (make sure they have checkmark - tick next to them)

Start creating new rule (use the button called "New")

Name : your choice
    Direction : Both
    Action : Allow
    Protocol : TCP & UDP

Additional action:
    check Log

In Local tab - just add the application using the Browse button. You must find where your Tcalls (voip) is located .

In Remote tab - don't touch.

Confirm with OK . Press Apply button.

4. Open Personal firewall > Protocol filtering
    Choose the radio button "Applications marked as Internet...."

5. Navigate to Web access protection -> HTTP -> Web browsers and make sure that Tcalls application has no checkmark if it appears in the list

Confirm with OK and try again

3. jhun100

thanks hi tech boy. im at work now ill try this when i reach home. but i remember that the rules and zones editor in the trial version is grayed out and i think is not editable in the trial version. are you using tcalls? i don't want to gamble buying the software if tcalls will not work cause i use it almost everyday.

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

It is grayed out not because it is trial version but because you use the default mode -> Automatic mode . I advise you turn to Interactive Mode where you have more control over the applications.

I am 99% sure that in Automatic mode your program cannot work because it requires incoming access . In your case they are blocked because of the automatic mode blocking every unsolicated incoming communication.

No , I don't . Actually I have never heard of it before.

5. jhun100

Hello hi tech boy! thanks for your help. went home yesterday really excited to try this out. i did what you wrote and followed the instructions carefully, but it still doesn't work. i dont know what to do now. i installed kis 7 in my pc and it just works fine. i dont know why tcalls doesnt work with ess and mcafee, but okay with kis 7, bitdefender and symantec.

Maybe you have some other suggestions? please.............

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Well , try to open the Advanced Setup Tree :

1) Navigate to Protocol filtering and turn to "Applications marked as..."

12332123321ess.PNG

2) Goto Web browsers section and make sure nothing is checked there.

123321ess.PNG

3) Add Tcalls directory as an Exclusion , add the whole folder in a way so that it end with * at the end , example
    C:\Test\Programs\Tcalls\*

12332123321ess2.PNG

Confirm the changes with OK . Still make sure you use the firewall in Interactive mode and that communication (both in and out) is allowed. Try again

7. jhun100

thanks hitech boy, but it still doesn't work. i dont know how to put the image here but i will attach it for you to see.

Attached Files:

8. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Could you try uninstalling ESS and installing ESET NOD32 Antivirus only, just to see if it makes a difference?

9. jhun100

i wanted to try that, but if nod32 works i dont want to downgrade with it, i really prefer sticking with ess. tcalls work with kaspersky internet security 7, norton 360 and bitdefender.

10. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Can you do one last try :
    Contact ESET Customer support using the internal form in the program . Open the user interface -> Help -> Contact Customer Care.

Fill in the information , describe the issue , you can even provide them with a link to this thread . Press Next button . Then allow ESS gather information about your computer and itself and send it to ESET.

This may help them analyse you case better and perhaps provide you with solution :thumb:

P.S. You haven't added the exclusion in a correct format -> it should be C:\Program files\Tcalls\*

11. jhun100

thanks! i'll to to do exclusion properly and try again. actually before i posted here i already wrote to customer support but nobody replied, i think its for about three weeks now since i wrote to them. anyway i'll write to them once more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.