Help with security setup please

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by lime, Feb 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lime

lime Registered Member

I am still reviewing my current security setup. I had a bad experience years ago (in the bad old days before I had any security setup), and have tried to be careful ever since. I frequently download stuff off the internet, and like to try new programs, and would appreciate any advice, as even with now I have had the odd trojan slip through:

I currently have running at startup:

Norton 360 (still have 10 months license so shall keep for now)
    Threatfire
    Windows Defender
    WinPatrol

For surfing the web:
    Firefox with Adblock Plus (with Easylist USA filter), NoScript and WOT

For on-demand scans only I use: adaware anniversary edition (free), MBAM, and superantispyware (free). I have all these because they all seem to detect different things.

I would like to use Process Guard or perhaps Windows Defender with Advanced Spynet membership (as I need some other real time protection better than Norton 360, and WinPatrol offer).

I would like some advice please on which would be my best option, and what unnecessary programs I could then get rid of.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

that setup looks like it should be good enough for the average person, maybe u culd also add SAS for on-demand scanning?

3. lime

lime Registered Member

Thanks for your reply. I do use SAS (free) on demand, although not at startup. Is it worth having Windows Defender then with spynet advanced membership, for the extra layer of protection it offers, or would Process Guard be better?

4. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hello:

You have already received some specific advice here so I won't duplicate that or get into product x vs product y.

Depending upon a users risk profile, they need in my opinion (everybody has one) a layered defense selected from the top publicly tested products.

1) 2 way Software Firewall in combination with a Hardware FW such as a router
    2) 1 real time Antivirus product updated daily and used ie scan daily
    3) 1 real time Antispyware product updated daily and used ie scan daily
    4) HIPS
    5) Reliable image based backup and recovery software, backup your data partition daily
    6) Password management system

Hope this helps :D

5. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Or you could use sandboxie, then run SAS/MBAM on-demand and Norton in real-time and you'd be good to go.

Once you download sandboxie, which is free with a 'nag screen' (paid version has more features), it has a useful help file which loads. http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?HelpTopics

Otherwise, plenty of information on sandboxie if you search the forums.

All depends on what you do. Just a regular user who visits a few sites, above is more than adequate. If you download shifty software continually, keep ThreatFire, and make sure you run the software sandboxed. Get carried away with too much software, it will be the software itself which will cripple your system (blue screens, slow downs, conflicts etc).

6. lime

lime Registered Member

Thanks for replying. I have most of the above more or less sorted. Its the HIPS that I was concerned about, although I have been thinking about a hardware router for some time (something for a later discussion perhaps!:) ). Hence my query re: Windows Defender or Process Guard. I have tried Sandboxie, but I kept getting nag screens after so many days because I was using it free. This was why I want to try a free alternative, (before committing myself to a paid subscription.

7. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

processguard would probably be better realtime protection, but windows defender can also be used as a scanner, IMO u shuld be okay with windows defender if ur not a dangerous surfer. and u shuld go with the advanced subscription in windows defender.

8. Saraceno

Don't worry about the nag screens in sandboxie. The program is free, stays free. To compare the level of protection the free version provides, you'd need several other programs to compete. :p

eg. User could use sandboxie alone, any downloads could either be uploaded to virus total, or scanned with the free program CureIt, and in my opinion, the system would potentially be far 'cleaner' than another user using several other programs and no sandboxie. Hey, I think the program kicks @ss. :)

9. lime

lime Registered Member

I cannot stand the nag screens, but was pleased with it before they started appearing. I also like the way that you can run programs in it and they won't damage your computer, and you can delete everything.

Apologies for repeating myself, but would you suggest paid for Sandboxie in preference to PG, or would it be better to upgrade Windows Defender to Spynet membership. I wholeheartedly agree with not having too many programs running, so may get rid of WinPatrol or Threatfire if I did the latter. (I did have adaware running at one stage which caught a nasty Trojan while running new programs, but have disabled it as it is a system hog unfortunately, another reason to rethink my security setup).

10. Saraceno

The paid version is a once-off lifetime fee.

I've yet to experience any system slowdowns, or conflicts. You can set it up to force programs or folders to always run sandboxed, without having to right-click and select 'run sandboxed'. So saves a bit of hassle there.

With the paid version, you could setup a folder on your desktop for example, called 'downloads' to always run sandboxed. Once you recover a file from sandboxie, you recover it to the 'downloads' folder. When the file is run, it is sandboxed for however long you want it to be, so you can see how it operates.

Once it is scanned, with whatever programs you use, and you trust it, transfer it out of the sandboxed folder. :thumb:

11. lime

lime Registered Member

Many thanks. You must've read my mind. I had just been looking as to whether the paid version was worth having, and now you have mentioned a one off fee, I will be upgrading to the full version. (The free version has limitations which doesn't suit me as is, another reason I stopped using it.)

I have also upgraded Windows Defender from basic to advanced Spynet membership. I will now have to look at what I can get rid of, maybe winpatrol?

I have tried Cureit and had a lot of False Positives which put me off a bit, but as long as I recognise them for what they are maybe its worth another go.

Thanks again for yours and everybody elses advice. :D

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.