Help With Securing an Older Computer

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Trout, Mar 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trout

Trout Registered Member

I am looking for help in securing an older computer for my neighbors. The computer has a 466mhz processor and 64mb of ram. It originally had Windows 98 but was upgraded to ME. I obviously need to look for software that is very easy on resources. The computer belongs to an elderly couple on a fixed income so I am looking for freeware suggestions.
    I know to put the usual software like Adaware, Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster and Guard. I mainly need to know which of the free antivirus, Firewalls and other goodies that are a must have with the least amount of impact on the system. I am sure that I will be the one keeping the system maintained for them until I can teach them all of the basics of how to use it. The computer will be connected to the internet via dialup and it will be mainly used for email to keep in contact with their family. I do plan on taking the time in securing there browser and email client while teaching them at the same time. Of course I will make sure Wilders forums are in their bookmarks as well…… ;)

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Trout,

Let's start with a general resource, the List of Lists, it's a great gateway to lot of the things you'll need. The other place I'd visit is Markus Jansson's website. He's done a lot of work on securing a system for low to no cost. The focus is probably XP, but some of it will apply to ME.

For the AV: Anecdotal comments seem to indicate AVG Free is a bit heavy. Bitdefender has a free version, as does Avast!. I've seen comments that both are light - any actual ME based users out there care to comment on either? I'd probably try Avast! first.

For the firewall: I'd try the free version of Zone Alarm. The system requirements don't exceed what you have, so it should work. It is one of the easier firewalls for a new user.

That would be my starting point.

Blue

3. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Trout,
    If there is anyway to get it up to 128mb ram. It would go a long way to fix any resource issues with ME but I know plenty who had ME with 64mb. An older version of Zone Alarm free would be my suggestion. Beyond that I think Blue nailed it pretty good. Always glad to see folks assist seniors out in such matters. ;)

4. Trout

Trout Registered Member

Thanks BlueZannetti and Mercurie for the help. I enjoy helping friends, relatives and neighbors with their computers but it has been awhile since I had worked with an older system and have not kept up on what was better for one with slower resources. I found a little extra ram lying around that I will try out and see if it works. I knew it would come in useful saving old parts one day but I forgot that I had it until I posted. Anyway thanks for the tips....Trout

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.