Help with "Pink Screen" Trojan/Virus

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Lost_Prophet, Apr 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lost_Prophet

Lost_Prophet Registered Member

I'd like some thoughts and recommendations for those of you in the know.  I'm am FAR out of my field of expertise here.  

If any of my symptoms sound familiar and you can help lead to a solution, I'd be much appreciative.

These problems came about after I installed Kazzaa file sharing software.

My system has flaked out and I believe I have 1 of 3 possible problems.  

1. I have a sophisticated trojan/backdoor installed.
    2. I have a sophisticated Virus
    3. My Video Card is on the fritz.

Basic System specs: (High end modern system).

1. Windows XP Pro
    2. GeForce 3 Vid Card
    3. 512MB DDR Ram
    4. LAN, Zone Alarm (Standard), Windows Firewall Off, standard drives...

Solutions taken:

1. Full Virus Scan with Nortion Antivirus with latest Definitions.  (Reported Clean)

2. Full Trojan Scan with TDS-3 Trail version  (Reported Clean).

3. Net search for "pink screen" with no usable results.

4. Uninstalled Kazzaa and erraticated all reference to it from the registry.  Now system slowdowns went away.

5. Ran Ad Aware with latest dataset.  (Reported Clean).

6. Next step is using Recovery Console in an attempt to repair, reinstalling video drivers and then a reinstall of Windows XP Pro.  I want to avoid a reinstall if possible.

Symptoms:

1. Periodic screen flash as lines across the top of the screen.  This happens very quickly and does not interfere with work.  Hard to tell if the flashing of these lines are pink or white.

2.  Screen flashes all transparent pink.  Sometimes stays this way for a min or two then goes away.  It is as if the green settings on my video card has been turned off.  Looks like someone put pink plastic wrap over my screen.  I can still work.

3.  A few oddball problems like ALL my system restore points have failed, my windows XP CD "suddenly" and timely could no longer be read.

4.  Screen Savers no longer work.  They run like molasses, take forever to start and turn off.  

5.  A few cases of fatal system error crashes (Blue Screen of Death).

6.  Some serious system 'busy cursor", slow downs and a few instances of "can not delete file because it is in use by another application" errors.

* Symptoms in 6, above, went away after uninstalling Kazzaa.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you feel prompted to send an email, please send it to Shrowd@bigfoot.com.  

Thank you.

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Hello Lost_Prophet,

At first glance, it doesn't seem a trojan or virus/worm to me; hardware seems to be the the trouble here.

Could you try a different monitor for testing purposes?

regards,

paul

3. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

Sounds like a bad cable connection.  I had something similar with an older machine where one or two pins were slightly bent or the cable wasn't pushed in firmly enough.

4. BOB

BOB Guest

I saw this today, thought it might interest you.

http://news.com.com/2100-1023-873181.html

5. Lost_Prophet

Lost_Prophet Registered Member

Thanks for the replies.

I was unaware of what Brilliant was up to, but since I do my best to maintain privacy, I had already removed all the brilliant software as soon as I installed Kazzaa.

As for swapping out the video card, that is not an option for me.  I don't have another system that can handle it.  However, I can blow out the cables/connectors, check for bent pins and also reseat the card.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.