Help With PC Upgrade:AMD or Intel-P4?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Legendkiller, Aug 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

Hi,
    I am currently in look out for a pc upgrade and have to admit that after around 10days of research i find myself totally confused..
    I want to move to intel pentium p4-2.66Ghz,add 1GB more ram,a futuristic mother board and graphic card.
    My current configurations are
    Intel Celeron-1.7Ghz
    512MB RAM
    845G Motherboard
    Nvidia GeForce FX 5200.
    I have heard that nvidia's GeForce 7300 GT is a good option,but what m-boards and processor?
    Which is better AMD or Intel P4?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

id get (or build) a new computer with the new Intel Core 2 Duo processor.

that being said, if u just want to upgrade, then go with an AMD Athlon 64 (socket 939).

3. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

agreed. I'd go with the Intel Core 2 Duo.

Though, if it was between a P4 and an AMD, I'd go with the AMD.

4. Legendkiller

but i just went to their website i found in amd athlon 64 the processor is best upto 2.4ghz processor...
    isn't a 2.7ghz processor better than a 2.4ghz processor?
    And what about the m-board and graphic card which one should i buyo_O

5. WSFuser

AMD and Intel use different architechures for their processor. u cant compare it just using gigahertz speed.

their apples and oranges and the core 2 is like a pineapple.

also consider that u can get either single core (like athlon 64 or pentium D) or dual-core (like athlon 64 x2 or core 2) processors.

6. Legendkiller

7. WSFuser

what ur budget? that way i can suggest some choices.

8. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

You can always get a Intel Extreme Edition, they are available upto 4,7 Ghz. For normal use at home a Extreme Edition with 3.2 Ghz (that's the 840 edition) combined with some normal graphic card like the ATI 1900 Crossfire should do the job.

9. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Consider also what you are going to do with this box: video, gaming etc.?

Gerard

10. sosaiso

Wow. :eek:

4.7 ghz. For a home computer.

For me, that would so be overkill.

11. Legendkiller

though i almost sure of what processor i am buying,i am confused over which m-board to buy..
    some suggest 915g,some suggest 945gt...i dunno which to buy...
    budget is not a problem...

12. WSFuser

can u give a link to the processor u want? i found teh Intel Pentium 4 506 Prescott which is 2.66ghz but if budget is not a problem why go so low?

if u want a cheap upgrade u can get:

ASUS A8N-E (motherboard)
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (cpu)
    Geforce 7300GS (video card)

for around $220. just reuse ur old memory. u can add 1gb of new memory for $90-100.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2006
  13. Inspector Clouseau

Well you SHOULD BE SURE about the processor BEFORE you going to buy the mainboard. Or vice versa - you should be sure about the mainboard before you buy the CPU since not every CPU fits in every mainboard. You have there different socket types. If you go with AMD 64 i can highly recommend the ASUS M2N Series. They are pretty good and they have even SATA RAID Controller (nForce Series) onboard. They also have HD Audio on board supporting normal AC97 compatible mode. The board is not too expensive, it's a very good midclass board. Only thing what is important: It only has one Primary IDE Controller, so you can add a HDD and CD-Rom. If you need more ATA Devices you should buy a Rocket PCI Controller (around $30) there you can connect 4 more devices at hyperspeed.

14. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

15. Inspector Clouseau

yes. i'm using the 4.7 myself with ASUS Board - never had a problem. You should install Dual Boot on such a machine - 32 Bit and 64 Bit Windows XP. First the 32 Bit, then 64 Bit. If you run into trouble with drivers for some strange Hardware then you can always boot up 32 Bit.

EDIT: I have one main reason for having this Dual Boot: The damn Cisco VPN is only compatible with XP 32. So if i have to connect from home to company i have to use 32Bit XP.

16. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

I'm not sure about getting EE's. They are generally overpriced compared to the rest of the product lineup since it's catering toward the: "Gamers with cash to burn to get 1 more FPS."
    Are you talking 3.7Ghz instead of 4.7Ghz? That is the maximum clock-speed Intel has ever offered on a Pentium 4EE. The highest clock-speed total is 3.8 Ghz on a Xeon.

In any case, avoid all of Intel's old chips (Pentium branded), unless it is super cheap. They run hotter, use more energy, and are slower than their AMD counterparts, and new Intel CPUs.

17. WSFuser

im wondering this as well. maybe its a overclock?
    agreed. the core 2 and athlon 64 x2 are far better.

18. sosaiso

4.7 ghz with water cooling?

19. Legendkiller

so,its down to simple question
    1.Processor-Intel P4(2.8Ghz) or AMD athlon 64 3000
    2.Intel m-board 915GL(supporting depended whether i choose amd or intel p4)
    3.Nvidia GeForce 7300 GT
    plz reply..
    i will buying it tommorrow,oops it already 1:45am,so today.

20. WSFuser

get teh AMD proc with the motherboard I suggested earlier (ASUS A8N-E).

21. Legendkiller

fine then...i went to the asustek office near my home and they have shown that asus 915g m-board which is made especially for amd products...
    two products rounded-off,any suggestions on graphic card,is 7300 good enough for good games and forthcoming vista?

22. WSFuser

the 915g is for intel processors NOT amd.

the 7300gs should be sufficient for Vista but for new games, u have to run them at low(er) quality and resolution.

23. Legendkiller

why low resolution??
    also,which one of 915 range is for amd?

24. WSFuser

low resolution because its a low-end video card. i dont have teh card so im not 100% on what works. maybe u could try normal resolution/low quality or low resolution/normal quality. it rele depends on the game.

the 9xx is an intel chipset for intel processors. for an athlon 64 u need a motherboard with nforce3, nforce4, or via K8T890 chipset. the motherboard i recommended uses teh nforce4 ultra chipset and it should be good for an athlon 64 3000.

25. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I won't get into which MOBO to get but I will say that up until this computer I have always used Intel processors but I went with AMD on this one and I like it better than any of the Intels That I have had on my home computers, and I have had a lot. I change comps every two years or sooner. From now on It will be AMD all the way unless something drastic changes. I am able to run programs faster, I am able to burn cd's/DVD's much faster than I ever was able to with an intel processor. of course there are other variables to consider with the different computers but AND just rocks.:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.