Help with Opera

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by aigle, Mar 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Can anybody tell me why I get this message while trying to download from this link.

http://www.gentlesecurity.com/files/geswall.2.5.1.pro.msi

The link used to work OK in the past in Opera. I suspect some settings/ tweaks have broken something.
    Could not find anything from plugin help page.

My opera settings are:

Version 9.1 build 8579
    java, javascript turned off with java script turned on on selective sites
    Cookied denied except on selective sites and autoclear cookies on sesssion end.

Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  2. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

I tried just to see if something on their page was causing it - Opera should prompt for a download.

opera-dl.gif

Try checking your Preferences|Advanced|Downloads and see what action is listed for

application/Octet-Stream

It should be "Show Download Dialog"

-rich

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks a lot. It was really frustrating. I changed many download file types yesterday to be captured by FlashGet plugin but its plugin doesn,t catch this type of files. So after reading ur post I changed it to show download dialog and now it,s OK. I get download option.

Infact before posting I tried but I was looking for MSI file types in downloads, I donot know about Octet-Stream and MSI at all. Another new thing for me.

Thanks.

4. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

You are welcome. See here:

http://kb.iu.edu/data/agtj.html

One of the great features of browsers like Opera (probably FF also) is you can custom configure how the browser treats MIME types. For example, you can choose to have a .pdf file open directly in the browser, or pass to a reader application, or prompt for action. The first is the least preferable - the other options prevent many of the malware exploits which are invoked by a command the browser permits.

Similarly, you can have Word documents on the Web open in a text editor rather than the default MSWord, preventing the running of VBA exploits.

It's well-worth the time to learn about MIME types because you then have the greatest flexibility in controlling what happens when you encounter a particular file-type, both on the Web and in email attachments.

Many email programs permit the same type of custom-configuration of MIME types.

It's really a necessary part of one's security plan.

-rich

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks Rmus. That,s very helpful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.