Help with HOSTS file

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JRCATES, Jun 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Sorry for sounding like an idiot to the more knowledgeable people in these forums, but I am thoroughly confused with what for many, will be a trivial concern. I "believe" that I have correctly and successfully added the MVPS HOSTS file. I downloaded the file, but it is one of those that use "zip" technology. I'm relatively new with PCs, and I have never had any occasion to use a ZIP program before. Knowing that I'd run into it sooner or later, I downloaded ZipGenius just last week. Well, apparently I already have a problem.

During download, I saved the MVPS HOSTS to my desktop......because I read that you can "copy and paste" the folder to the desired location (C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC). I then renamed the already existing HOSTS file as HOSTS.old, and placed the newly created HOSTS file in the above mentioned location.

Now here's the part I don't understand. If I double click to open ZipGenius, the HOSTS file is still located there. I believe it is in "archive", but until I hear from someone that it is safe to "delete" it from there, I'm being tentative. Also, ZipGenius has created a SEPERATE icon on my desktop.....called HOSTS (using the ZipGenius icon entitled "ZIP"). So I have TWO HOSTS file icons on my desktop....the one I copied and pasted to the desired path, and the one that ZipGenius created (HOSTS.zip, ZipGenius File, Size: 60.89 KB, C:\Documents and Settings\.....\Desktop)

When I open WinPatrol, and choose to "view HOSTS", it opens and shows the MVPS copy via my Microsoft Notepad. But I'm not certain if I should delete both entries on my desktop! Or what exactly to do with the HOSTS listing in the ZipGenius archive. If I right click on it, it still has "extract" as an option....and I would think that once extracted, that wouldn't be an option. (Now I'm really showing just how little I know about this, huh?)

Can somebody please help me with this....I'm driving myself crazy trying to figure out what to do (i.e. - what is safe, what exactly I've done, etc.)

2. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

JR,

You're driving me crazy trying to wade through your post (just joshing JR).

Once you installed the unzipper onto your machine it will auto. pick up any

zip files that it comes across on your machine, without you needing to click

on the unzipper.

It's the file\s you D\L'd that you extract by double clicking on it, and as you

say, ( unless this ZipGenius is different to other unzippers ) you can then

copy or 'CUT' and 'PASTE' to the relevant folder. Now that you have placed it

into it's correct folder as HOSTS (just check that its the latest by right

clicking on the HOSTS file and click on Properties to see what date is

showing)

you can delete the one you name changed along with any you have on your

desktop ( forget about your unzipper's archived memory of it ).

Remember that each time you update your HOSTS file WIN PATROL will show

a dialog to alert you that someone has fiddled about with your HOSTS.

Just click NO in the dialog, you don't want to see it, so long as you know it

was you who just did the fiddling about, then go into WIN PATROL OPTIONS

and recheck to relock the HOSTS.

HTH,

Regards.

3. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

Sounds like you got the HOSTS file working properly.

You can delete any HOSTS file that isn't located in the windows/system32/drivers/etc folder, as they will just be copies.

Winpatrol showing your HOSTS file via notepad is the standard way of viewing it.

I seem to remember you saying that you had disabled DNS Client, which is good. Just ask how if you haven't.

BTW, I'm not familiar with zipgenius, I've always used winzip which is very easy to use, but even the windows zip is quite easy...so long as you remember to right click on the file. Unzipping a file doesn't get rid of the original zipped file, but it does create the proper expanded file in the folder you specify...so you can delete the zip file after extraction.

4. JRCATES

Thanks for your reply and help with this, MICRO. Sorry if I was a little too long winded and went into too much detail.....I have a bad habit of doing that sometimes (providing more detail than is necessary).

No, Vikorr....I haven't disabled the DNS client. What would this do, and is it recommended (which it sounds like it is). Also, how would I go about doing that?

5. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

DNS client can slow your webbrowsing down if you are using a large HOSTS file. I tried using the Bluetack HOSTS file, which is about 1.2mb, forgot to switch off DNS client, and I then found svchost.exe was chewing up 99% of my CPU power...couldn't connect to the net or anything....then I remembered that I had reformatted and not turned DNS Client off.

Basically what it does is search through your whole HOSTS file in ascending order before it lets you browse a site. Switching it off stops this without effecting what the HOSTS file does (so why exactly it exists, I don't know - it isn't needed)

To switch it off, click on START in your taskbar, then RUN. Type in SERVICE.MSC <enter>. Scroll down until you see DNS CLIENT, double click on it (another screen will open). About half way down you'll see 'Startup Type'...select DISABLE in that. Close the window, and that's all there is to it.

6. JRCATES

Thanks, Vikorr....but something's not working here.

When I go to Start, then Run, and type in SERVICE.MSC....I get this message:

Windows cannot find 'SERVICE.MSC'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search"

With OK as the only option to close out the error window.

7. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

It's SERVICES.MSC

plural.... and not case sensitive

You will need to either "stop" the DNS CLIENT after you disable it or reboot which will stop it too because you disabled it.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2005
  8. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi Jrcates, I have set up a tutorial on how to set up a Hosts file here.

Hope this helps...

Cheers ; D

9. JRCATES

Thanks, Blackspear.....too bad I didn't see that until AFTER the nightmare!!! Man, learning the working knowledge of PC's WITHOUT the in-person help of someone and totally on the fly can be very, very frustrating.

Anyway, it's a great referrence for future situations like this (and something I can pass along to friends who are considering adding a HOSTS file). Thanks again.

And thanks to you, Siliconman01....for helping with the whole SERVICE(S) - plural thingy :)

10. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

you can check to see if the enteries you put in the hosts file are working by trying to connect to one of the sites on the list. you shouldn't be able to get to any of the links because you have told your computer the wrong address for them - 127.0.0.1 or 0.0.0.0. so if you have-
    127.0.0.1 iceni60.com
    try going to iceni60 and you shouldn't be able to.

when the internet was still very new the addresses in the hosts file where used to show your computer where to connect to when you requested a link as your computer doesn't look up www.wilderssecurity.com when it wants to go to a site but converts it to an IP address (the numbers). as the internet has grown so much since then it isn't possible to put the IP addresses of all the sites you might need in the hosts file so your computer will ask for the address from a Domain Name Server instead.

so that's how it's mainly used now, not as an address book, but to give the wrong address (your computer) for sites you don't want to visit because your computer will still check the host file first before going to a DNS.

11. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

Heh, sorry about the misspelling JR :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.