Help with gmail and mail client

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ellison64, Mar 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

My isp uses gmail ,and for the first time ive set up my mail client (becky) to use imap to retrieve the mail.So far so good ,and in becky i see the gmail folders that are at gmail server.However when i delete mail in becky from these folders they seem to keep reappearing.The only way i can seem to delete gmail is to go to login to gmail website,then delete mail ,then further delete from the trash.It then doesnt show.Why cant i delete these mails from my mail client?.The gf has also tried deleting from pocomail which is what she uses with same results as myself.
    Hope you understand what i mean
    ellison

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

3. ellison64

Thanks for the links ..ws.Ill try them later this evening.
    ellison

4. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

In general, when you delete from a regular folder, you actually remove the label from the message. In Gmail a 'folder' is just a label.
    When you want to delete a message permanently, I think you should drag the message to the [Gmail]/Trash folder.
    You probably could setup Becky/Pocomail to recognize [Gmail]/Trash as the delete destination. So that the mail application moves the message to the correct folder when you 'delete'.
    Once in the [Gmail]/Trash folder, a delete action should work as usual.

I tried to setup Becky, to get a better idea of how it works, but it takes more more time than anticipated. :)

5. ellison64

Hello...
    Thanks for taking the time to try becky and gmail.It does have a lot of options to be played with.Ive finally got becky to work with sky mail (which uses gmail)although email addy ends in sky.com rather than gmail .com, and am able to delete the server emails from becky permanently.So i have achieved what i wanted .A lady at the yahoo becky forums helped me with this.Funnily enough though setting up an ordinary gmail account in becky still allows me to see the online mail /folders etc and delete them but they reappear all the time.I also tried this in thunderbird with the same result ,so im not sure whats going on there.Thanks again for taking the time to try though.
    ellison

6. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I read an article from the latest Smart Computing and wilbertnl has things figured out. The only way you delete IMAP from Google (via Becky) is to pull mail over to the Junk folder and then delete it from there. Otherwise, all you're doing is making label changes...

7. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I know with Thunderbird (which I use at home) you can configure to use the trash folder of gmail when you delete (and other folders like spam and drafts).

It might be worth looking/asking if Becky can be configured in a similar way.

8. ellison64

Well ive tried every thing to get gmail to work.Yes i can see all the online folders,and ive set becky to have a trash box and sent box on the server.However no matter where i drag server emails (in any of the trash folders)the mail still reappears.It works with my sky account though ,which uses gmail.Damn i cant figure it out.Have you actually logged in to gmail on the web to see if the mails are really deleted from thunderbird?.If you have and they are gone from the all mail folder then ill have to try again ,a bit more thouroughly.
    ellison

9. wilbertnl

Yes, I have verified the performance by moving messages to the [Gmail]/Trash folder and delete them from there (by pressing the delete key on my keyboard).
    It works in Outlook Express as announced. But in Thunderbird it didn't work, I tried all server settings in Thunderbird (Move it to the Trash folder/Mark it as deleted/Remove it immediately),

10. HAN

HAN Registered Member

11. ellison64

Ahh i see that it worked for OE but not thunderbird.I had same results with thunderbird ,becky and pocomail.Couldnt get proper deletion.Well i guess theres no problem because i use sky gmail ,which will delete from all the email clients.Why this is ...i haven't the foggiest.
    ellison

12. ellison64

Hello han...yes ive read the help there but the problem with normal gmail still persists.Anyway my sky gmail works so im giving up on it for now.
    ellison

13. wilbertnl

Ellison64,

Today I tested Windows Live Mail Desktop, and I configured it as in the pictures.

imap.jpg
    Imap Folder Settings

trash.jpg
    Trash Settings

This is what I found working:
    When I delete any message in any 'folder' by pressing the delete key on my keyboard, it moves to the Trash 'folder'.
    When I exit Live Mail Desktop, the message is deleted and gone.

That sounds pretty much the way you would like it to work, no?

14. ellison64

Thats how i would like it to work..but it doesnt:'(
    Here are some screenshots of my becky settings.Perhaps you can see where im going wrong.

Attached Files:

15. wilbertnl

Do you have in Becky the equivalent of the folder subscription feature in Outlook Express?

all.jpg

I see now what happens when you delete a message, this is the correct dialog:

delete2trash.jpg

The message is moved to the Trash folder in both Becky and in Gmail.
    But after you exit and reopen Becky, the message reappears in the inbox.
    Although the message is still in the Trash in the web interface.

I see if I find more about this behaviour.

16. wilbertnl

Well, I have played some more with Becky.

To me it's not easy to recognize when I'm online and when I'm not online.
    I notice that Becky maintains a local cache for the messages from the IMAP server. And when I connect/disconnect it seems that Becky toggles between online/cache. Somehow it's easy to get the cache out of synch with the IMAP server.

Becky even managed to show the [Gmail] structure on a different IMAP server that I used to verify it's functioning. It was the imap.aol.com server, which also offers a free account. [Gmail] does not exist there.

I did setup two profiles for different IMAP servers, and somehow they seem merged when I look at the message folder structures.

It seems to me that when I delete a message it is deleted from the local cache, and when I connect to the IMAP server, the deleted message shows up again.

I wonder how well IMAP4 is supported by Becky?

17. ellison64

Thanks for taking the time to check with becky.Its strange because sky uses gmail although the server name is different i.e imap.tools.sky.com.Imap with sky account works perfectly and i can delete the online mail.Something most weird is that in becky>tools>mailbox setup>misc if [Google Mail] is put in the imap folder space with a space between google and mail (rather than [Gmail] it actually shows all the server folders .but in the main screen tree it shows Gmail.Even set up as above which now shows all the server folders ,its not possible (for me anyway) to delete server mail properly.
    ellison

Update....damn it Does seem to be working now !!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.