Help with exposed NAT Router please :)-Solved

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by spydespiser, Oct 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spydespiser

spydespiser Registered Member

Update on stealth/unstealth

Read somewhere(cant remember where cos i've been all over for threads/links)

the possible reason why X4 stealthed then unstealthed is(i'm sure this is what i read) that when LAN connected, X4 doesnt get scanned but S/W F/W does(which explains stealth as that is how S/W F/W is configured and apparently H/W F/W is bypassed due to this connection method) but when using USB connection H/W F/W gets scannned which is why it returns the open/closed staus results

So at least i have a little bit more information on product, no thanks to zoom who at 22:15 on 3rd day still have not replied from tech supp :(

Might send another E-mail and ask if they like the smell of my money :D

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi again spydespiser, As I see it Virtual servers are not port forwarding, I use them here for hosting a chat server, a virtual server allows ppl to reach your server through a dedicated port.
    Usually as follows: Local PC IP address and the port No or range of ports that an outside PC can use to access your server through your router.

I'll have to say that 3COM's support has been oustanding, I emailed them with a problem on a Sunday & first thing Monday morning a knowledgable member of their staff phoned me, quickly solved the problem + emailed the answer.
    Two days later another 3COM staff member phoned to ask if everything was satifactory - Now that is what I call "Service" - I almost thought that if I had another problem they would turn up on my doorstep with the router ambulance! :) :D

HTH Pilli

3. spydespiser

Hi Pilli

also seems to be the case here, even though all the linx i followed that led me to tech specs claimed it port forwarded and only Ref. to such in Manuals is through Vir serving o_O

Wanna swap :D :D :D

3 1/2 business days-no reply

Thanx again Pilli, will tinker further with DMZ as i still have s/w f/w(i hope :eek: )

SpyD :cool:

4. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    Hello Pilli
    Thank you for the information. BTW - What site can you recommend to test the DMZ settings? We did a GRC port test before making the DMZ change and got "all stealth" already.

5. spydespiser

6. spydespiser

Update
    posted request for response 6pm

received reply 7:30pm

"It should be stealthed. Remember that the web console also uses port 80 so this may also be why it shows as open. However if you want to make sure that it is for sure, then forward port 80 to a bogus IP address in the virtual server settings. Have a good day.

Travis
    Technical Support"

Not very forthcoming with info are they?

Where's the rest of it? this only answers 1 question asked of them :D

7. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Spydespiser, Travis must have read our earlier posts :D So just forward port 80 to a bogus address using the virtual server settings - Yeh OK Travis ... Are you hiding them under your KB? :'(

8. spydespiser

9. spydespiser

Update

went back to mess with what i was trying to do the other day. you cannot follow manual instructions in printed order, it won't work cos IP doesn't exist or is invalid you have to skip instr 1, goto instr 2,ignore instr 3,then go back to instr 1 and do 1 and 3 together

Result

Port 80 now scans at GRC as stealth,

but all others are still visible as closed, so i still "exist" then don't i?

i can only have a maximum of 20 VServ settings

theres 26 ports being scanned on basic scan

so its a bit of a fruitless exercise, IMO :doubt:

as guess what!?, you got it i still "exist"

Basically i've bought a "ADSL MODEM/GATEWAY/ROUTER/FIREWALL"
    that is, well basically just a 2port router/modem.

Where's the other 1/2 LOL :D

whats the point in multi-functional piece of equipment, if you can only use 2 out of 4 features in a setup?

Bit like having a lock with no bloody door :D

Thank you to the guys that contributed :)

looks like i've got more experimenting to do as tech supp only tell you what you have all ready told them and the bloody manuals a$$ about tip

SpyD :cool:

10. spydespiser

another update

have just been for more scans and log checks and it isn't stealthing,
    its just stepping aside a letting S/W F/W do what it was doing before i installed the modem, as i am now receiving incoming TCP's in my logs, which S/W F/W is ignoring(giving me stealth status)

:eek: :eek: watching a horror film and all my games/dvd cases have just toppled like dominoes :eek: :eek:

:D

so its still advertising my closed port status to the world, but is fobbing the responsibility of port 80 over to S/W F/W

so, only consolation is that i at least now know if S/W F/W is doing assigned tasks and has not changed function in any way without my knowledge i.e. stopped working as should, cos i can now scan/probe it

which i could never be 100% sure of before change of Vserv

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.