Help with config

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by Max Zorin, Jan 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Max Zorin

Max Zorin Former Poster

I would like to run Returnil all the time. Is there a wau to configue it so things like AV updates, windows updates etc are saved - along with the contents of specific folders - such as my business docs - so they are there on reboot?

I know it can be set to always save changes - so I could just choose to change this to lose changes - but this would assume I knew when the system had been compremised?

All advice welcome.

MZ

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi Max,
    Maybe yes, maybe no. It is definitely no in the case of Windows Updates as noone can say for certain what the exact changes will be before they release them outside of their own labs. In both cases however there is most likely going to be some form of registry change required which is not possible in the current generation outside of a total Session save = All or nothing...

We are working towards adding selective registry change commits, but it is still in the planning stages.

Yes, this is what the File Manager, Drag & drop, and right click commit options do. Simply add the folder to your FM list, drag and drop the folder onto the RVS tool bar, or simply right click the folder and select "Commit selected to the real system"

Mike

3. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

Install the AV on a different partition/drive. I do this as well as moving the "My Documents" folder. This works well with OS imaging, FDISR, Returnil, and others.
    SourMilk out

4. normishmael

normishmael Guest

Regarding Av updates,i have found a method that works for me.
    Avira normally has six or seven updates per-day,and as I live in the
    the US,these are normally between 3:00am-8:00am,with a possible stray,
    or two, latter in the day.
    I set the protection scheduler to turn off system protection between
    6:00am and 8:00 am.
    I set my daily scan to start at 7:30am,and updates for 6:05am,and 7:25am.
    I find I get most of my updates to the hard disc this way,and if there is a
    "flyer" that comes latter,I still get the Avira email.
    I still feel concern about keeping my AV up-todate,even with
    Returnil,I just find I am not quite as fanatic about it.

5. Coldmoon

Hi normishmael,
    That sounds right, but keep in mind that the scheduler is not a service. This means that it is only in effect when you or another user is logged in...

Hi SourMilk,
    True, but keep in mind that some AVs may require changes to the registry when updating and some don't. It is always best to experiment to see if the config will work properly before going to it "permanently". The only thing that would happen is that during the current boot session your AV would be updated and then at restart would need to reapply those updates...

Mike

6. normishmael

normishmael Guest

Gotcha,thanks Coldmoon!

7. Max Zorin

Max Zorin Former Poster

Cheers for the advice. I will take a look at what has been said - going to have to learn about the scheduler - dont know much about the app as yet.

Is there anywhere that gives a detailed "idiots guide" on the scheduler and file explorer?

MZ

8. capatt

capatt Registered Member

Hello
    Regarding the scheduler.... If one schedules it to turn protection off from say, 6:00 AM to 8:00 AM, does that mean it automatically reboots at 6:00 am into an unprotected state, then reboots again at 8:00 AM into a protected state?

Thanks

9. normishmael

normishmael Guest

capatt:

It reboots to the unprotected state at 6:00am,
    and resumes the protected state at 8:00 without
    a reboot.
    You get a 60second heads up countdown message
    prior to both.

10. Coldmoon

As noted previously - the current scheduler is not a service so it would not be able to wake the system or work from the SYSTEM account to do this...

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.