Help with bi-directional Rules

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by fryr, Aug 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fryr

fryr Registered Member

I have 2 LAN PC's behind an ADSL Router.

I want to be able to allow PC1 to access the file shares on PC2 but I do NOT want PC2 to access the file shares on PC1

This sounds easy but I cannot seem to get my head round bi-directional rules. If I only allow PC1 to PC2 using PC>>Internet the reply packets are dropped and therefore access from PC1 to PC2 is not available. If I allow PC1 to PC2 using PC>>Internet>>PC then not only can PC1 access PC2 but PC2 can also access PC1.

When using the bi-directional rule the headings on Source and Destination are confusing - does it matter when using a bi-directional rule which IP addresses go in where as they both seem to mean the same on bi-directional rules.

TIA

Richard.

2. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Visit http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=8806

View the first thread and consider viewing "Look ‘n’ Stop – What? Where? v1.1"

3. fryr

fryr Registered Member

Thank You for your help - I also saw another one of your responses with regards to SPI and this pointed me in the right direction of rule placement to stop externally initiated connections.

Thank You once again - I am sure I will get my head round it eventually.

Regards
    Richard.

4. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.