Help with basics of True Image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by karhu, Nov 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karhu

karhu Registered Member

OK ... I installed Acronis True Image, made the boot disk, and backed up my whole computer ... and set automatic backups. I also verified the files.

Now ... what is the EXACT proceedure (please, step by step) if I need to use these backups?

I feel really stupid, but I just don't know what I would need to do with this.

2. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Hi karhu,

really sorry to do an RTFM on you, but would you mind having a look at the user guide (Ch6), and then come back with questions.

http://us1.download.acronis.com/pdf/TrueImage10.0_ug.en.pdf

F.

3. cmar

cmar Registered Member

Thanks for the link. I have the same problem. I created backups but have no way to do a recovery. I can't even create bootable recovery media since I get an error message:
    Use TI Server, Custom menu to create bootable recovery media.

I tried to follow the instructions in the link you provided for the Secure Zone, but when "Activated the Startup Recovery Manager", TI then tried to create a Secure Zone, when I already have one.
    The suggested size was 100.5 GB, which is half the size of my HD!
    The Minimum partition was 39.22 MB and the Maximum was 201 GB. So I cancelled out of the wizard at that point and am back to square 1.

Backups are easy but how do you do recovery. I have looked through the User Manual and tried to use the Wizards. Has anyone been able to create bootable media?
    Thanks, CMA

4. foghorne

Hi cmar

as I have already said in another thread to you. There are two solutions.

1. Install ATI on a machine which will allow you to create a Rescue Disk (then uninstall it)
    2. Create a BartPE environment.

Please read the answers and suggestions given to your questions, before reposting the same questions in other threads. Now look, I'm as bad as you for answering the same question in another thread.

F.

5. cmar

cmar Registered Member

Hi F:
    What is ATI?
    I did install Bart PE as part of the original install.

I have had good responses but none to my basic question of how to create bootable media with TI on it.

6. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

Please read through the many threads you created – your answer is there.
    You can’t create the rescue CD because you did not install the option to do so.
    Goodbye.

7. foghorne

ATI=Acronis True Image.

No. you didn't install BartPE as part of the original install. It does not come with ATI. You might have installed the ATI plugin for BartPE with the ATI installation though.

I suggest you read chapter 2 of the user guide.
    http://download.acronis.com/pdf/TrueImage10.0_ug.en.pdf

When you have installed the functionality to enable you to create rescue disks and have created one you might find things a little easier. If you have a rescue disk which works - you don't need Bart PE

F.

8. karhu

karhu Registered Member

I have read the entire manual!!! I am not an idiot ... What I want to know:

If my computer will not boot, do I use the boot CD I made with True Image, or my BartPE boot CD.

Then, will the computer immediately kick into the True Image recovery mode ... OR, do I need to do something else? I really can't find the answer to this.

If my question is really too stupid for answering, I will understand and not bother anyone further.

9. TheWeaz

“If my computer will not boot, do I use the boot CD I made with True Image, or my BartPE boot CD”

Either one.

“Then, will the computer immediately kick into the True Image recovery mode”

No, you just get presented with a menu to choose from.

10. karhu

karhu Registered Member

When I get this menu ... will one of the choices be to restore files from my secure TI zone?

11. TheWeaz

There will be an option for either Restore or Recovery (can't remember which; both do the same thing). Select that and you will later be prompted for the location of the image from which you wish to restore.

12. karhu

karhu Registered Member

Thank You!! :thumb:

13. TheWeaz

Just to add –
    The only reason for the BartPE CD is because some hardware may not be recognized (or functions poorly) with the normal TI recovery CD. If the TI CD works for you, the BartPE CD is unnecessary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.