Help, Windows Defragger Missing

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Graystoke, Jun 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Say Graystoke,

Can you post a screenshot of your Virtual Memory window?
    Runbox: sysdm.cpl > advanced tab > performance settings > advanced again > clk change on virtual memory.

Note: Take the shot, then cancel all window's! Upload as an attachment in your reply cp.

GF

2. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Ok, ran the chkdsk. No problems found.

PS....I got your PM.

3. Graystoke

Here you go.

4. Graystoke

Ooops. Let me try again.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2006
  5. GlobalForce

That look's about right based on what I know. I do wonder however if changing to let the system manage it for a moment would alter anything? I'm also not too sure if like gerardwil mentioned some additional features of defrag's GUI got displaced during your trial period a way's back. Not knowing where to go right now, how about you? Sleep? Nightlife that doesn't include computer's? :D

BTW - What's that skin I see, which soft?

GF

6. Graystoke

You're asking me where we go now. :eek: I'm relying on you. ;) :D Rest sounds really good right now. :)

I have TuneUp Utilities installed. That's where I got the skin. There is a TuneUp Styler included. You can change your boot screen, welcome screen and visual style. There are many to choose from. It's a very good utility also. I use it a lot.

7. GlobalForce

"I'm relying on you ...." to ask the question's which lead to a solution, right?

I was out of town a few day's. In my absense did you decide to stick with Diskeeper or ... ? Also, my inquisition as to which app was providing that skin was not one of visual interest, but to know if there may be some display interference not having defrag's GUI show button font's.

I'll ask the following question's returning to gerardwil's reply earlier as it still hold's interest for me (Cr_pCleaner also has a registry "cleaning" function). :cautious:

• TuneUp Utilities includes it's version of a registry tool that "clean's and optimizes," correct?
    • Have you used it and if so have you allowed it automatic removal based on "it's" recommendation's (yes I know, many here have their praises)?
    My thinking here is you may be missing quite a few registry entries that relate to Window's GUI defragger, considering NONE of the previously mentioned fixes have worked. Maybe a bit more time with Regmon will clue me in ....

GF

8. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

That's very wrong!

Raxco has nothing to do with Diskeeper.
    Raxco is separate and makes Perfect Disk, much better thgan Diskeeper, and does not disable the built-in windows defragger.

9. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Right. Covered in post # 25, Howard.

10. Graystoke

Yes I have used the registry optimizer tool in TuneUp Utilities, and followed it's recommendations.

Also, I just finished running sfc /scannow a few minutes ago. I rebooted, tried the command prompt entry again, but still no Windows defrag utility. I went into Windows/system32 and noticed I don't have a dfrg.inf file. I guess I really screwed things up with the registry tool in TuneUp Utilities.

I had a copy of Diskeeper Lite installed. I uninstalled it today before I ran the sfc /scannow. If registry entries for Windows defrag were removed, I think it may be a lost caused trying to get it to work again. I know it would be great to fix this, but................ I guess I have a defeatist attitude about this. I do want to make it very clear that I do appreciate all the help.

Edit.....I tried going back to the Windows default skin, but that didn't help either.

11. Howard Kaikow

Ah, you used Diskeeper Lite!
    That is likely the problem.

THere was a bug in Diskeeper that wiped out the built-in defragger.
    You may have downloaded a version of Diskeeper Lite that did not have the fix.

The FAQ at the diskeeper web site has a fix for win 9x, and another for win 2000 and win xp.

Once you fix things, ditch diskeeper and get Perfect Disk.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2006
  12. GlobalForce

Graystoke,

Does executing this line from your runbox open dfrg.inf?

c:\windows\inf\dfrg.inf

I'm not on my machine ATM .... I'll post the content's tommorrow plus maybe some other finding's.

EDIT: Under Installation/Un-installation/Setup, scroll down to "The Default (built-in) defragmenter does not return or function after uninstalling Diskeeper on Windows 2000/XP," apply the edit if you know how, reboot. Barring failure to display the full GUI, register those dll's and install the inf file. Reboot again.

GF

Last edited: Jul 3, 2006
  13. Graystoke

I went to the Diskeeper site, I ran the fix. Still no default defragger. I'm tired of messing with this. I have thrown in the proverbial towel. I will admit it's my fault. I f**ked things up somewhere along the line. I've tried everything. When the Diskeeper fixit tool doesn't work, it's time to call it quits. I will re-install Diskeeper Lite, basically because I don't want to spend money on a degrag utility, and it seems to do the job.

I want to thank everyone, especially GlobalForce, for take the time to try and fix this mess. I appreciate all the help. That's it. I give up. I quit. No more.

14. Howard Kaikow

Diskeeper Lite has too much overhead.
    I noticed a performance with with Diskeeper Lite.

I would think you could do a repair of Windows.

15. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, GrayStoke: I totally understand your frustration,bcz I have been there. If my one dollar worth experience can offer you some guidance please read on...
    I would fork out some of my hard earning $$$ for Diskeeper Pro Premium V.10 (remember that it is NOT from Raxco) and spend extra $$$ on First Defense-ISR( now it IS from Raxco). Buying Diskeeper pro premium would give your pc a super performance and provide you a great satisfaction. Having FD-ISR would save your bacon when you mess up your baby next time. Little help I suppose. Good luck.

16. Graystoke

I ran a Windows repair yesterday. At least I think I did. I inserted the XP CD, I went to Start>Run, typed in sfc /scannow. I took over an hour to complete. I got a few error messages during this. Something about dll cache. I just kept clicking Retry. In the end, still no windows defaut defragger.

Maybe I'll give Diskeeper Pro Premium 10 a try. I'll see how I feel tomorrow. As far as FirstDefence goes, I run GoBack, and I think it does basically the same thing? Anyway, I have no idea when this problem with the default defragger started. I don't know about FirstDefence, but with GoBack, I can only revert my hard drive as far back as five days. This could have happened a month or two ago.

17. test4

test4 Registered Member

Try this:
    http://www.kessels.com/defrag/index.html

As far as I understand (and that's not much;) ) it uses Windows "components" to do the job. That way you can test whether the Windows defragger engine is still there\working or not.

18. Graystoke

test4, I did give that a try a couple of days ago. I got it to run ok. So if it uses Windows components, I guess the Windows defragger engine is still there.

19. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

No, Graystoke, I'm afraid that wasn't a Windows repair.

To do a Windows repair, you:
    1. Insert your Windows CD
    2. Select "Install Windows XP", or, reboot from the WIndows XP CD
    3. Apply any 3rd party SCSI or Raid drivers, if they apply
    4. Select ENTER to INSTALL Windows XP, do NOT press R for repair (silly, but true)
    5. Press F8 to accept the license terms
    6. Select the partition you currently have Windows installed on but tell it NOT to disturb the existing file structure !
    7. You'll then be on you way to a Windows XP repair
    A Windows repair will "refresh" your Windows install without, generally, messing up any of your programs and it won't touch your data.

Windows repairs are not always flawless and you risk a few quirks, but offten it's the only choice. Myself, I may hesitate a little before doing it just for the sake of your Windows defragger. I think there may be a better way to do it, but haven't had time to dig around on the subject yet.

BTW, First Defense-ISR is MUCH more than GoBack is, and not the same thing. You should visit the LeapFrog forum and read more.

20. screamer

screamer Registered Member

I use Diskeeper 9 on "set it and forget it" mode. Works well most of the time. If I run into an issue DK can't clean I use Gerard's solution. Hasn't failed me yet.
    Sysinternals also has Pagedfrg which defrags the pagefile.

hth,

...screamer

21. Howard Kaikow

Ferget about Diskeeper.
    Perfect disk is better and has less overhead, not to mention, it does not disable the built-in windows defragger.

22. Howard Kaikow

Diskeeper has too much overhead.
    It makes no sense to use background defragmentation, just needless overhead and impacts image backups.

A proper defrag does not have to be run very often.

23. screamer

Diskeeper may have alot of overhead. But it's bought-n-paid for. ;)

I don't notice a performance impact. It's set to run b'twn 12 & 1am

...screamer

Last edited: Jul 4, 2006
  24. Howard Kaikow

With Diskeeper Lite, I noticed that it was checking the drives about once per hour. Perhaps the real product is better?

I still would recommend turning off the background defragmentation as that gains little performance and increases the size of incremental/differential image backups.

25. screamer

Howard,

How would it increase the size of incremental/differential image backups.

I don't understand?

...screamer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.