HELP! Upgrade turned into downgrade...

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by DenverESullivan, Apr 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DenverESullivan

DenverESullivan Registered Member

Help!

I have been using True Image 9.0.2337 for some time without any problem whatsoever.

Today, I downloaded the new Build #3567. Booted to the new recovery media and tried to image my machine. With this build it took over 3hrs!

It's never taken that long... usually 30 minutes.... tops.

As a test, I booted from the #2337 recovery media and was able to complete the same task in 27 minutes.

What giveso_O Why the significant slowdown?? I would have - if anything - expected the new version to work even faster.

Has anyone else experienced this? o_O

Any ideas are greatly appreciated... I even created another new CD using the media builder because I thought that maybe the disk was bad... same result.

- Denver

2. Ranger Bob

Ranger Bob Registered Member

Yes I noticed it took much longer to do a full image backup also after the upgrade but mine was not as bad as your results. I jumped from around 30 min's to 44 min's. On the plus side the backup was smaller with the default settings than my previous backup.

3. Jbmoar

Jbmoar Registered Member

Yes, Same Problem Here, With Build 9.0.2337 It would take me around 5 minutes to backup my drive, build 3567 would take me around 45 minutes which I Decided not to do, went back to 2337, bit disapointed as it tokk me several hours to download this huge download, mouse jumpy also, not sure if I Will try again as 76MB File is a huge download to see if all is ok, plus I Only use the Rescue CD. the uge download is ok for this that have cable modsems or DSL

4. DenverESullivan

Hopefully the folks at Acronis can fix this one... I can't imagine corporate users putting up with this much of a slowdown. <snip>

edited to remove off-topic remark - Detox

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2006
  5. jimshu1

jimshu1 Registered Member

Build 3567 is about 40% slower than 2337 on multiple, different systems. For my day-to-day use, this is a bigger negative than any new features. I really like True Image and this negative is unfortunate.

On a positive note, the uninstall function seems to work better with the v9.0 versions! : P

6. bcool2

bcool2 Registered Member

Well, time is money. :cool: Looks like I'll be tucking this Behemoth away in the closet for a while and keep 2337 up and running. Overall, I'm pleased with 2337.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello everyone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

If Acronis True Image bootable rescue media works slowly in rescue mode, please do the following:

Boot your computer from the Acronis True Image rescue disc and press F11 key when the selection screen appears. After you get the "Linux kernel command line" prompt, please modify it in the following way:

quiet acpi=off noapic, click on the OK button and choose "Full Version".

If the problem still persists, please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

8. DenverESullivan

Acronis,

The extremely slow performance happens both when booting from rescue media (both full and safe options) as well as when running TrueImage out of Windows. I've even checked it on multiple machines (Dell 8300, Sony Vaio, and my home-built)... all do exactly the same thing.

What used to take under 30 minutes, now takes about three hours.

The drive I'm imaging is a 200GB that only has about 17GB of data on it. And I'm imaging to an internal IDE drive (UltraATA/133). All of the machines I've tested it on have at least 1GB of RAM and a P4 2.0ghz or greater.

(Also, I tried using the "no compression" option and it said that that would take 8 hours!)

I can boot to the recovery environment without problems and everything appears to be working correctly, but when I go to make the image it takes forever.

Any assistance you can provide is greatly appreciated.

- Denver

9. pepegot1

pepegot1 Registered Member

I think I will wait until they get it straight!

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Denver,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please check each partition of your hard drives by Windows utility:

- For Windows 9x please use Windows menu Start\Run
    then enter the command "scandskw" and test all drives;

- For Windows XP please use Windows menu Start\Run, then enter the command
    "chkdsk c: /r" "chkdsk d: /r" for every partition of your hard drives.

Please note that you will need to reboot your computer in order to scan the system partition.

If the problem still persists, please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. This information would let us investigate the problem under consideration thoroughly and provide you with a possible workaround.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

11. DenverESullivan

Acronis Support,

Just finished running ckdsk for both drives, no problems were found.

I just tried to again image the drive using Build #3567 and it still says it's going to take 3 hours. (Ironically, with no compression it says it'll take 8 hours... which makes absolutely no sense.)

I tried using the "quiet acpi=off noapic" switch and it had no effect on the result.

I've used Build #2337 for weeks now with absolutely no problems... in fact... I've even recommended it to co-workers. After frustration, I tried imaging the drive again with #2337 (instead of #3567) and it's almost done, taking - as usual - about 25-30 minutes.

Whatever the case, it appears that #3567 has some major glitch to cause this much slowdown... and it looks like from posts here that other users are having the same problem.

Any assistance you can provide is GREATLY appreciated.

- Denver

12. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Is there a particular reason that you want to upgrade to #3567? With True Image, you have to wait at least 2 months after release for bugs to be ironed out.

13. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Denver,

Did you run the operations through?

Creating my first image with build 3567, running from Windows, I noticed that the first time estimate was four times grater than the time eventually taken. Comparing the logged times after completion, the difference is within build 2337 variability.

I did also an archive verification of a previous image, with 3567 running from boot CD. I have no recorded times to compare there, but I don't feel any difference.

14. DenverESullivan

Chutsman,

The main reason I upgraded was to make sure I had all the bug fixes... I didn't expect to receive new ones - or at least not of this magnitude.

I used to do programming so I know glitches always happen, it's inevitable. But I would have thought they would have caught this one in the lab.

I just hope they can get this one fixed... for a new customer like myself this was a big disappointment.

- Denver

15. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Believe me ... you will NEVER have ALL the bug fixes, if the track record holds. If the features you use work for you in 2337, stay with it.

16. DenverESullivan

bVolk,

I just wish that 3 hours estimate was wrong. I assumed it was and let the process finish... it took like 2 hrs 50-some minutes.

I don't know what got broke during this update, but I hope they get it fixed quickly... Looks like I'm gonna be using #2337 for a while.

- Denver

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.