HELP! Trying to remove startup items in system configuration

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by boxerhousejax, Jul 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boxerhousejax

boxerhousejax Registered Member

I've deleted several spyware programs from my computer, but they still show up as startup items in my system configuration utility. I'm not sure how to delete them from this utility. Right now I've gotten the system to start without them by using the selective startup option and unchecking the problematic items, but I don't know how to permanently remove them from the list. Please help!!

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

You can search the registry if you are comfortable doing so, just be sure to back the registry up before deleting anything. go to start/run/ type in regedit in the box/edit/find. Type the file you are looking in find and do a search.

3. boxerhousejax

boxerhousejax Registered Member

That did the trick! Thank you so much!

4. bigc73542

I am just glad it helped.

bigc

5. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Using Autoruns (http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/autoruns.shtml ) will make it easier to get to the relevant registry entry. Right-click on the autorun item, select "Jump to...", and you will be shown the entry in regedit. Then in regedit's right-hand window, right-click on the entry and select delete. As always, back-up your registry, or export the key you want to remove to a reg file so that you can restore it easily if something goes wrong, or create a system restore point before you play with the registry.

Nick

6. Basic

Basic Guest

7. bigc73542

you can get rid of start programs with jv16 power tools they can be gotten here free.

8. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

FYI, if determined to remove those unchecked items from Msconfig/Startup by directly editing the Registry, here's excactly where to find them:

In Win 95, 98, Millennium:

Navigate to, and examine the following 3 subkeys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices-
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-

Note the - (minus) sign behind Run and RunServices.

In those subkeys you'll find the Msconfig/startup entries that are UNchecked.

Highlight the ones you'd like to get rid of in the RIGHT pane, and choose 'delete'.

These keys contain the stuff that starts up from the Registry.

Items that were loaded from your Startup folder, and are now unchecked in Msconfig can be deleted in Start/Programs/Disabled Startup Items.

Incidentally, don't remove stuff this way you still have, and might want back in startup, for in that case restoring them gets a little more complicated

In Windows XP, make your way to the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg.

Expanding the Startupreg subkey will reveal a further listing of folders (subkeys) which will be named after unchecked items in the System Configuration Utility that were loaded from the registry.

For items that were launched from your Startup folder, and are now in "Disabled Startup Items", look in
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\Startupfolder.

Cheers,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.