help...TDS-3 not responding!

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by ironwalker, Jan 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ironwalker

ironwalker Registered Member

Dunno why but when it finishes services process scan the main console says scanning memory please wait....
    but the scanner near stop scan button says ready

doing anything does nothing...lol
    task manager shows not responding...ive tried 12 times:(

I have shut down every service not needed even though i never needed to this before.
    It has been awhile since i used the scanner....a long while actually....it just kept takeing to long or stopped responding.
    Ive been useing online trojan scanners(feels guilty)

Is there an update or something?

anything?

help please

ps
    i dont leave TDS-3 running i only open it for scanning files or full scanns or downloads now and then with right click in context menu....useing tds this way,do i still have protection...real time that is as if i downloaded a trojan or tried to open one?

thanx

2. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Well, many users uncheck the memory scanning from the startupscan selection because of the length of time it takes. But that still doesn't answer why it is having problems now when it was not before.

On a related note, I have noticed on my machine that when I launch TDS while I have my PrettyGoodSolitaire (yeah, yeah, I know ;) ) it gets caught in a memory leak but I think that has to do with a rather corrupt install of PGS (I have upgraded over the top through many versions). So it may be something similar with you.

Sorry i couldn't offer anything more definitive :doubt:

3. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Ironwalker,

Of course I don't know what exactly has been changed on your system now you are getting this.

In most circumstances it is the "Process Memory Space Scan" during the Start-up of TDS-3 that might be the culprit here.
    What you could try to do, is this: disable Process Memory Space Scan" during the Start-up of TDS-3.
    How to do that?
    Start TDS-3.
    Click Configuration.
    The TDS Configuration menu comes up.
    Go to the Startup Tab.
    In the middle column you see: Startup Scanning.
    Remove the checkmark in the box "Process Memory Space Scan".
    Hit Save.

Now you might ask me:
    Hey, I even cannot get there because the system "hangs", what now?
    You might try this, but maybe you already did that:
    Close your internet connection.
    Close every running program except Explorer and Systray: on my Windows 98 SE box I do that first by clicking on the icons near the clock and closing the programs there, and then I hit several times Contrl-Alt-Del and clso there everything except Explorer and Systray. I don't know how this goes on systems like XP, sorry.

OK, now I have closed/shut-down all programs except Explorer and Systray.
    Try now again to start TDS-3 and see how it goes.
    The start-up process indeed could take up several minutes, maybe 10 or so, depending on your system.

I hope you will be able to do it this way !

You asked whether there was a program upgrade.
    Yes, almost an half year ago TDS-3 Final was released.
    I don't know whether you got it.

You said that you don't have TDS-3 "running all the time".
    That might cause that you don't have the real-time, resident protection from it.
    If you don't do that (and don't run any other AT resident) you might indeed be vulnerable to Trojans.
    I strongly recommand to run an AT resident.
    For TDS-3 the resident part is called Execution Protection.
    Please do let it "run".
    In TDS-3:
    Click TDS.
    Click Execution Protection.
    Click Install.
    And let TDS-3 start up with Windows (or start TDS-3 by yourself up after the whole start-up process is finished).
    But I'm aware that you need first to solve that TDS-3 start-up problem of yours.

See also the sticky thread about the Basic config of TDS-3 at this forum.

Please let us know how it goes !

Cheers, Jan.

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi Ironwalker and welcome,
    in addition to FanJ's advices, don't forget to run all the scans you unchecked in the startup fase at a more convenient moment and look if TDS comes through all of them.
    That process memory scan can take really some time on slower systems (several minutes) and best leave it scanning.
    If even with all other programs closed in FanJ's test and waiting several minutes (go get some coffee to keep you from clicking your system and causing more delays in stead of helping to speed up) it still has problems, let us know.

On my system i can get a not responding in the task manager in some cases (not always and there is no known reason why) when i have TDS starting all the initial scans (i have everything checked) and i open another program, which' window goes over the TDS console. Looking in the TM i see in some cases the not responding, waiting a while in most cases TDS just continues, even though that message in TM, in other cases it is really not responding and it has to be restarted and that time wait till it's ready with all the initial startup scans. Anyway, when i see after the CRC check the "finished" i know everything has been scanned and tested and all is ok.
    I leave TDS up (or minimized) all time, as it's central on my system (with some extra scripts etc), together with Port Explorer. For the exec protection function you should leave it running (testing every executable for nasty code and blocking before it can infect your system)

Not any reason to feel bad about online scans or using other at's as we all like second opinions.
    You have one resident you said, is that a recent install which could make problems for TDS to come through the scans like before? Not as much a conflict but more extra work to get through it with all safety scans?

5. jay111

jay111 Registered Member

:D
    hi there !
    i'm running XP Pro and i use a small freeware programme calle ENDITALL.
    i just click on "killall" and it shuts down everything apart from the bare essentials to run PC.
    this is brilliant on older PC'S like mine when i'm doing some video editing.
    hoping this helps
    regards
    jay111 :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.