Help STOP NOD32 Auto Scanning all Downloads?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by axelrose, Aug 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. axelrose

axelrose Registered Member

I've disabled the scan feature in all browsers so that is not the cause. My problem is NOD is Automatically scanning ALL files downloaded via my browser no matter how large or small the file size. This adds from 30 to 120 extra seconds at the end of the download.

The download dialogue box when the download should be finished says "A FEW SECONDS REMAINING"..

What setting/settings can I set to stop this automatic scan of files as they download??

thanks

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Hello axelrose,

Are you using Firefox for your browser?

3. axelrose

Yes and I've made the corrections to the following key

browser.download.manager.scanWhenDone;false

So, what do you think now?

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

When you go to the file, just double click it and set it to false. There should be no semicolon in the command.

browser.download.manager.scanWhenDone

5. axelrose

I right-click and copied the key, that adds the semicolon when pasted to something like a text file or forum.

It's been set to false for 6 months so far.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

This has been going on for six months?

Have you added any security programs to your computer lately?

7. axelrose

Since buying and putting together this Q9400 Microsoft Vista 64 bit machine there is nothing new to speak of.

And yes it's been going on since day #1 which was around Jan 20th 2009

And this happens on non-popular and well-known websites, any time of day, no pattern I can see.

So, there's no setting in NOD32 to make NOD skip or prevent it from always scanning a download before it's saved?

anyoneo_O?

8. SecurityOCD

SecurityOCD Registered Member

I am having this issue as well. I do not think the settings in Firefox have anything to do with it, even though I had already disabled the file scan setting on Firefox already.
    I tried playing around with a few advanced settings in NOD32, but none had worked so far.
    Someone please tell me how to disable this setting as it does become annoying when I have to wait longer than necessary for a download to complete.
    Thank you in advance.

9. ccomputertek

ccomputertek Registered Member

Try advanced heuristics and run-time packers " unchecked " for both real-time scanning and http / web scanning in the threatsense options.

10. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

This will, however, significantly decrease detection capabilities as generic signatures are based on results from advanced heuristics emulation.

11. ccomputertek

ccomputertek Registered Member

well what else to tell all these people who experience this.NOD32 is not the only program that does this though, i'm pretty sure windows defender behaves like this also.If anyone else has a better idea, let them know.So whats taking so long ? the unpacking or the emulation ? if they set it up the way I said, they can allways configure the right click context menu scan for advanced heuristics and runtime packers and scan it after it has downloaded.

12. stimulator32

stimulator32 Registered Member

What about Active mode ?

To avoid monitoring the applications' communication gradually , this option make ESET examine the downloaded files as a whole ; so decreases the downloading time ..

13. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Normal files are scanned quickly, but emulation of large runtime packed files simply takes time. I wouldn't recommend disabling web protection or advanced heuristics on create as these may stop additional threats due to the higher heuristics sensitivity they use. If you mind delays when scanning certain files, you can do so at the cost of lowering protection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.