Help: Spybot S&D denies access to Windows System Restore

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ocionnfhaolaidh, Jul 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ocionnfhaolaidh

ocionnfhaolaidh Registered Member

Hi Dog,

Sorry it's taking so long to get back to you guys. I've done another Search for helpctr.exe, and got different results from the previous one--only 15 results now, but I don't understand why when the previous was 25! This time, I entered the text "helpctr.exe" in the first box of the Search assistant (all or part of the file name), whereas first time I entered it in the second box (a word or phrase in the file), but I'm not really sure which is the proper place to put it. However, even these 15 results produce a jpeg file of 104.3KB, so it wont be possible to send.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to type the entries manually and send them to you, as I don't know any other way to let you see the results. It'll take me a little while to do that I'm afraid. Thanks for your patience.

O'C.

2. ocionnfhaolaidh

This is the latest results of Search for "helpctr.exe" as 'all or part of the file name':-

helpctr.exe C:\Docs & Settngs\My name 0KB Applic 26/06/2004 23:17
    Dble-click on this produces message "not a valid Win32 app"

helpctr.exe C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstaller KB83... 725KB App 29/08/2002 12:00
    Dbl-click produces hourglass then nothing happens

helpctr.exe C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstaller KB84... 724KB App 30/03/2004 02:34
    Dbl-click produces hourglass then nothing

helpctr.exe C:\WINDOWS\LastGood\System... 725KB App 29/08/2002 12:00
    Dble click produces hourglass then nothing

helpctr.exe C:\PCHealth\HealthCentre\Binaries 724KB App 14/04/2004 17:50
    Dble-click on this brings up Help & Support Centre

helpctr.exe C:\WINDOWS\LastGood\pchealth... 725KB App 29/08/2002 12:00
    Dble-click produces nothing.

There are 5 other files named "HELPCTR.EXE" with letters & numbers after them, but they all seem to be C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch files.

Hope this helps.

O'C.

3. dog

dog Guest

Hi OC, ;)

Delete this one: (okb)

helpctr.exe C:\Docs & Settngs\My name 0KB Applic 26/06/2004 23:17
    Dble-click on this produces message "not a valid Win32 app"

Then retry your Help and Support Center from the start menu.

dog - *puppy*

4. ocionnfhaolaidh

Hi Dog,

Can you see my tail wag? You've made me a happy puppy indeed! I deleted the one you said,then clicked Start/Help&Support, and the H&S Centre came up,then I clicked System Restore, and got right into it.

I take it that I can install Spybot S&D again without causing problems, what d'you think?

Thanks again to everyone who has helped so far, and I hope that one day I can do the same for you--even though I think that is unlikely.

Regards,

O'C.

5. dog

dog Guest

Hi OC, ;)

I'm glad it's fixed ... ;)

I was gonna post your screen shot ... but no need now!

Yes, re-install Spybot ... and update us if you have any problems.

It was my pleasure. ;) :)

Steve

6. ocionnfhaolaidh

Hi Steve,

Another piece of info. I reinstalled Wormguard, then clicked on the Help&Support Desktop Icon that Snowbound showed me how to do. Result, the same dialog box "helpctr.exe is not a Win32 application". So, I clicked the Remove button in Wormguard, and launched a Search for helpctr.exe. I found a Zero KB file, timed at the appropriate time I had tried to access Help&Support, in C:\ProgramFiles\CommomFiles which was too much of a coincidence.

Intrepidly, or stupidly, I deleted it, then tried Start/Help&Support and H&S Centre came up OK, and so did System restore when I tried it. It also works from the desktop icon too. So, all I've got to remember, is to disable Wormguard before I try to access Hep&Support or System Restore.

I hasve now downloaded, installed and updated, Spybot S&D, and am pleased to say that I can still access Help&Support, and also System Restore.

Thanks to everyone who helped me, but biggest round of applause goes to Dog; Thanks again Steve.

Regards to all, you've all made an old man very happy.

Liam.

7. A884126

A884126 Registered Member

Dog, I'am facing the same problem but even after deleting the helpctr.exe in C:\Documents and Settings\XX does not solve the problem as when I try to relaunch the Help & Support it recreates the file....

BTW I found one in C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries which works very well.

What do you recommend? I tried to look how to change the shorcut but I guess I am not enough clever for that as the registry is full of helpctr.exe

8. dog

dog Guest

Hi A884126, ;)

If you are running WormGuard ... try disabling/uninstall it's protection (not the program) and try an access help & support again and it should work no trouble ... just make sure the wormguard generated one in doc's and settings is deleted.

Yes ... that is the right one - C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries

It's funny though ... I'm not sure why I don't experience this issue?

Let us know what happens ... I'll check back tomorrow around the same time as this post.

Steve - *puppy*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.