Help: Spybot S&D denies access to Windows System Restore

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ocionnfhaolaidh, Jul 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ocionnfhaolaidh

ocionnfhaolaidh Registered Member

Can anyone help a newbie please, as I'm at my wits end--not that I had far to travel!

My OS is Windows XP Home, and I did a System Restore to earlier in the day before I had installed a program I had subsequently uninstalled. However, as Windows was closing down prior to rebooting, Spybot S&D flashed a dialog box onscreen saying something like it had noticed a global change, and would I permit it or what.I reacted too late, and the whole system closed down on me, then rebooted saying that the System Restore had been successful.

I then clicked Start, Help&Support, as I wanted to create another Restore Point before installing another program. However, a dialog box appears on screen with the title bar "helpctr.exe" and below that in the little window the message, "helpctr.exe is not a valid Win32 application". Result is that I am unable either to create a new Restore Point, nor can I access any previous ones.

I believe the problem is with Spybot S&D, but I have read all the instructions and cannot find out what to do to let it allow me to access helpctr.exe. Can anyone offer a solution please?

Thanks for all your help.

2. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

I don't know the solution to your problem (I'm something of a newbie, really) but I think you posted in the wrong forum...

3. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hi ocionnfhaolaidh :)

I moved your thread over to the Software and Services forum.

One question on your problem,

Did u recently install Wormguard?

snowbound

4. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I know what your prob. is, spybot S&D resident asked whether you wanted to allow/deny the change, right? Then maybe you should try uninstalling spybot S&D first to see if it solves your problem. I think spybot S&D is denying you access to helpctr.exe (Help and support center). You should try uninstalling spybot S&D first. Also, according to what snowbound just said, did u recently install Wormguard or any other program which may also be causing the problem?

5. ocionnfhaolaidh

Hi There,

Thanks for responding. Yes, I did install Wormguard. Earlier that day, as a matter of fact. Is that the problem, do you think? Should I uninstall Wormguard, or Spybot, or both, then try to access System Restore? I don't want to do anything that will make things worse, if I can help it, as I'm too inexperienced to correct mistakes.

Apologies for posting on the wrong forum too. I'll try to do it right from now on.

Thanks again.

O'C.

6. dog

dog Guest

Hi ocionnfhaolaidh, ;)

Before you uninstall anything! Search for helpctr.exe ... and post a screen shot of the findings.

dog - *puppy*

Screen Shot instructions ... Highlight (click on the search window to ensure it's the active window) ... press alt + print screen ... open MS paint or a photo editor like Photoshop etc. select new ... press control + V to paste ... save as jpeg ... make sure it's not a bit map ... uload the image using manage attachments.

7. dog

dog Guest

added / because of your update ...

wormguard for system restore ... will need you to allow the process ... two dialog boxes popup during restore ... select allow ... or remove protection "remove" button before doing a system restore ... the re-enable protection in worm guard with the install button.

*edit* as for creating another restore point ... start -> control panel -> performance and maintenance -> l (on the left panel) system restore (this is for the default XP settings)

dog - *puppy*

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2004
  8. nadirah

Don't worry, I understand you are a new member of this forums, new members tend to post wrongly/make mistakes.
    Now, i think you should uninstall Wormguard first, next, uninstall spybot S&D then you can access system restore.

9. snowbound

In a word, yes. ;)

It is a known bug in Wormguard on XP.

All u have to do is create a shortcut on your desktop for Help&Support

and it should work fine again. :)

snowbound

10. ocionnfhaolaidh

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all help so far.

Unfortunately I reacted to some of your posts before the others came in, so I hope my innate stupidity hasn't made things worse. Here's what I've done so far:-

I uninstalled Spybot using it's own uninstaller. Then clicked Start/Help&Support, and it produced the same message as before. You were correct though, when you identified Spybot's Resident was the culprit, because I tried to access Help &Support through Start/Search, then clicked on "Information in Help&Supprt Centre". A dialog box popped up asking my permission for something, which I gave, then another box titled "Resident" popped up with the text "10.24 Process allowed .Resident allowed the blacklisted process helpctr.exe because it was on the white list"

Incidentally, Spybot was version 1.3, and was fully updated to 16 June 2004.

I'm sorry if this sounds disjointed, but it actually happened a week ago, on 26 June, I tried to fix it then, and on 27--without success--but have been away from computer until tonight when I posted on your forum. Result is, when you see results of my Search for helpctr.exe, you will see references to these dates, but nothing subsequent. The Search is currently underway, 23 results so far, and will be posted in due course.

I have not yet uninstalled Wormguard becuase I forgot to disable Kaspersky A-V Scan, which starts automatically at 20:00hours every evening, and it is currently running. Once KAV finishes, I'll uninstall Wormguard.

Incidentally, how do I create a shortcut to Help Centre on my Desktop; if I click Start then right-click on Help&Support, all I get is another little box which says "Help&Support", not the usual r-click menu which lets you make shortcuts etc.

Sorry guys if I'm making things difficult. Search has finished now--25 results which I'll try to post, only hope I do that right. No, sorry, it won't upload as maximum allowed is 100KB, but my jpeg file is 144.6KB. Any suggestions please?

Thanks again.

O'C.

11. dog

dog Guest

Hi, ;)

Right click the pic file - select resize image ... 800X600 medium should do it.

or resize it with a photo editor ...

ps. have you tried accessing system restore using the info (edit) in post #7

dog - *puppy*

*EDIT* The M$ Power Toy (Image Resizer) as well as the others is available HERE ... From M$

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2004
  12. snowbound

It is not necessary to uninstall Wormguard. ;)

All u have to do is drag and drop 'Help & Support" from the start menu to your desktop, very simple. :)

snowbound

13. ocionnfhaolaidh

Hi Dog,

Thanks for advice, but I'm too stupid to use it. I used Windows Paint to take a jpeg screenshot of the Search results, and have it on my desktop waiting to be sent. If I r-click on it, the menu only has following:
    Preview
    Import into Photoshop Album 2 SE
    Edit
    Print
    KAV Scanner
    Open with ( Office Picture Manager/Paint/ Fax Viewer etc)
    Send To
    Cut
    Copy
    Create S/cut
    Delete
    Rename
    Properties

I've looked at them all, but I don't know how to resize, apart from zipping it, and I've never used a photo-manipulation progam.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be difficult; I'm just lost here.

Please don't give up on me.

KAV Scanner has finished now; should I uninstal Wormguard now?

Thanks,

O'C.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2004
  14. snowbound

ocionnfhaolaidh,

read my last post, this is not necessary....

snowbound

15. ocionnfhaolaidh

Thanks Snowbound,

That was easy--now I know how. I've got the shortcut on Desktop, but when I click on it, I get the same message "helpctr.exe is not a Win 32 app"

Incidentally, I've just found some notes I made last week:eek:n 26th June, I looked into Spybot/Tools/Resident and it said "26/06/04: 23:14:19 Encountered & terminated FunWebProducts in helpctr.exe"

Does this info shed any light?

I have also clicked on Wormguard desktop icon, clicked Remove button, and then tried to access Help&Support, but get the same message as before.

O'C.

16. snowbound

Well that's strange...

I have Wormguard, and with Help&Support on the desktop it works perfectly. :doubt:

Like i said, this is the fix if it is indeed wormguard that is causing your problem with Help&Support.

snowbound

17. nadirah

Uh oh, that false positive by spybot S&D again, now, spybot has a false positive which is saying that it found some thing called FunWebProducts, i don't know what patrick kolla is doing about this, but however, i think when spybot TERMINATED helpctr.exe on YOUR computer, it might have DELETED the helpctr.exe file !!! :eek:
    Help and support center ( helpctr.exe ) , the error message said : helpctr.exe is not a Win32 app.
    So, it all sums up to this conclusion:
    1) Spybot encountered and terminated Funwebproducts and the whole helpctr.exe file!
    2) Then, it DELETED the helpctr.exe file!!!
    3) If that error says: helpctr.exe is not a Win32 application, then it means that spybot DELETED helpctr.exe ( Help and support center ), and your computer cannot locate helpctr.exe, either because of spybot, or helpctr.exe is corrupted!

Spybot S&D MUST BE the CULPRIT!!! ocionnfhaolaidh, if spybot REALLY DELETED helpctr.exe, then your Help and support center will NEVER work again! Because Help and support center IS helpctr.exe and it is gone, say bye-bye to your Help and support center.

Remember this: helpctr.exe is Help and support center.

18. ocionnfhaolaidh

Hi Guys,

Thanks for pointing out the alternative way into System Resore in Post#7. I didn't know that trick. It works, I can bring up System Restore , and was able to check that a Restore Point had been made tonight when it downloaded a Windows update. It's just that I cannot access it through either the Desktop Icon that gets round Wormguard bug, or through the usual way, Start/Help&Support/System Restore, yet currently Wormguard is removed, and Spybot is uninstalled. Any further thoughts, please?

Thanks,

O'C.

19. nadirah

ocionnfhaolaidh, could you please try searching for the helpctr.exe file on your computer.
    READ post #17.

20. ocionnfhaolaidh

Hi Nadirah,

Thank you for your summation. I think you're correct, though I know nothing about computers. So how do I get helpctr.exe back into my system. Use my Windows CD to do a repair? If that is the answer, would somebody please be kind enough to tell me exactly what to do?

Thanks again.

O'C.

21. dog

dog Guest

Hi OC, ;)

Here is my example pic ... can you double click the entry highlighted and get help and support to run?

BTW Can you run System Restore as per instructions post 7? (edit) ... Sorry just seen your post ... yes you can. One down a few to go.

Ok to solve the file upload size issue ... run the search again ... resize the window smaller (not maxiumized) ... take another screen shot an try that one ... the resize tool must have been apart of M$ Power Toys.

We look at the Fun Web Products - Spybot find a little latter. (next)

dog - *puppy*

Attached Files:

22. dog

dog Guest

Hi OC, ;)

It's not gone (out of place/wrong path) but not gone ... pls read my post above # 21 ... and try and post the pic pls. You had 26 hits for helpctr.exe, remember?

dog - *puppy*

23. nadirah

ocionnfhaolaidh, Please do as i say now, please try searching for the helpctr.exe file on your computer. If your computer does not find it, most probably it is gone.
    Help and support center ( helpctr.exe ), is a feature of Windows XP. If any other program deletes or modifies helpctr.exe, you will NOT be able to access Help and support center anymore. Uninstalling any other program will not help, because those programs CANNOT bring helpctr.exe back to your computer. Help and support center is part of Windows XP! So, ocionnfhaolaidh, I think u need to set your computer back to its original state,
    1) Try system restore to recover Help and support center.
    2) If it fails/nothing happens, then, it's back to square one for your computer.
    Remember, if a program/file is part of Windows XP ( meaning it comes with Windows XP ), and then some other program ( this program is not part of Windows XP ), deletes or modifies a program/file which BELONGS to Windows XP, that program/file can only be recovered by going back to square one.

I mean:
    Any program/file which is part of Windows XP should NOT be modified nor deleted. If Help and support center cannot work anymore, the best solution is to make your whole computer go back to square one.

24. dog

dog Guest

Hi OC, ;)

Could you please enable Private Messages ... I'd like to send you one.

On the top left of the page you'll see "user cp" click on that ... then on the left control panel click edit options ... scroll down to the "private message" section tick off the first and third options ... and then save changes.

ps. I'll be back online in about 1 hour. (Dinner time! :D time for some puppy chow)

thanks

Steve - *puppy*

25. nadirah

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.