help? rundll32 pointing to nonexistent malware that i deleted...

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by chrome_sturmen, Nov 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

i got some malware a few days ago, and deleted the malware files and the startup entries to it manually - but now each time i start my computer, there is an instance of rundll32 pointing to the (now nonexistent) malware:

the rundll32 properties:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\system32\srclient4.dll",qggcirmv

well those files themselves now dont exist, but something apparently is still telling rundll32 to run them, anyone know how i can locate and remove whatever is telling rundll32 to execute these files?

thanks in advance :blink:

2. vtol

vtol Registered Member

give it a shot with Hitman Pro, perhaps it will detect it

3. chrome_sturmen

vtol, thanks for your time - i actually tried hitman pro just before i made this topic - it did find the srclient4.dll as a threat (even though i deleted it yesterday?) but upon reboot for removal, i got a failure message from hitman pro, saying failure to remove. i doubt it would be because i didnt actually install hitman. i'll keep working with it o_O

4. chrome_sturmen

hm, does this mean i shouldve installed hitman to the harddisk, instead of running it from the exe?

this was in eventviewer:

The Hitman Pro 3.5 Crusader (Boot) service failed to start due to the following error:
    The system cannot find the path specified.

5. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

6. chrome_sturmen

cudni, thanks for the links!

i installed hitman, but again it failed (probably because the malware file doesnt exist, because i deleted it)

its like it's finding references to the file, and so assuming its there, when it isnt. i just need to find and remove those references to the malware, the malware itself is gone hehe *puppy*

7. vtol

vtol Registered Member

not sure it is that simple as you wish. sounds more like an evil resident on your system, which HMP is able to detect but has trouble to remove. there is some nasty stuff which is really tough to flush out. you may want check out and follow the info given by the link cudni mentioned

a search for srclient4.dll turned this forum thread up, there is somebody else having at least the same dll on the system

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  8. chrome_sturmen

vtol, yeah i saw that post on a search last night. im pretty sure i removed the srclient4.dll, because i booted to a different isr snapshot, browsed to my other $isr folder with xyplorer, and then searched for and deleted srclient4.dll using unlocker. now a search for it turns up nothing, so i guess its gone. there has to be some references to it somewhere though, because rundll32 is being invoked, but i guess ive neutered it, at least hehe*puppy*

9. chrome_sturmen

a scan with nod32 returns this result after scan:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\srclient4.dll - error opening

i wonder if thats because i deleted the file, or if the file is in fact on my system, but cant be cleaned. i sure cant find any file called srclient4.dll on my system, and my system seems to be running fine, anyone have any thoughts?

10. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

11. chrome_sturmen

damn, i did just find srclient4.dll in my windows/system32 folder, i was able to delete it with unlocker, but i thought i had already done that... i wonder what happens now :oops:

12. vtol

vtol Registered Member

hope you did not catch something residing in the mbr and rewriting that dll on every reboot!

13. vtol

vtol Registered Member

14. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Reading your posts I thought ;) you might've known that one.

15. chrome_sturmen

well, i wound up going back to an earlier snapshot and nuking the one that was infected - its costing me some work i lost, but not too much. though i had disarmed the malware, i didnt like that there were still references to it somewhere that i couldnt find and remove, so i took the hit. i couldve avoided this had i been more careful, but after having a strong system for awhile, sometimes i get too comfortable, and thats when a problem can occur.

thanks all, for all the advices!

16. vtol

vtol Registered Member

too bad. lesson learned though - until next time then ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.