Help Returnil

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Rico, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Activate by 'Session Lock' or via Reboot, RVS protection is off with error see pic.

Upon install I ticked: [ x ] Enable protection on your system partition (C:) after
    installation

Note I also tried install with the above not ticked [ ] same error

Protection cannot be turned on!

Take Care
    Rico

Attached Files:

• RVS.jpg
      RVS.jpg
      File size:
      63.6 KB
      Views:
  2. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Could it be that your setup.exe is corrupted, and every time you re-install you introduce the same error. Maybe if you uninstall Returnil and the setup and download a fresh setup.exe, and start over.:)

3. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi twl845,

I'll give it a try! Currently I've it un-installed, then remove remnants with jv16's 'Software Manager' & RegSeeker. I'll report back in a bit

Take Care
    Rico

4. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Twl845,

Close but no Cigar! Results using fresh download same as pic. post #1.

Take Care
    Rico

5. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Rico,

Boot to safe mode. Make sure Returnil isn't running. If it is, turn it off. Delete Returnil.DAT, then un-install in safe mode. Re-boot and re-install.

hth,

...screamer

6. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Screamer,

I searched for Returnil.* 0 files for this search, also tried *.DAT wow 900+ but no Returnil.

I've installed/un-installed now 3 times, each uninstall followed the same procedure: Dis-mount virtual > Quit Returnil > start menu Returnil Uninstall > reboot > jv16 Startup Manager finds one reg. item > Regseeker

I tried the trial version of DeepFreeze, this program did not fully install. Nothing occurred after reboot, no error msgs, no tray icon for DF, only one file at c:\program files\farconics\DeepFreezeo_O.exe <dbl clicking> did nothing. Note the o_O.exe, where o_O = best recollection of name. Tried saving things to the intended, protected drive [C:\] reboot & items still present on C:\. Concluded drive was thawed. Also no start menu items appeared for DF after reboot. Also no DAT files for DF or Farconis. Delete item for DF, jv16, regseek.

Returnil & DF are very similar and both fail, I think the problem resides elsewhere! Coldmoon will hopefully read this soon.

Take Care
    Rico

7. screamer

Rico, I had problem installing DF after un-installing Returnil. DF wouldn't install due to un-identified partition drive Z (returnil apparently didn't un-install this when I un-installed the app) Returnil.dat is in C:\Windows\Returnil.dat

I like Returnil, and would use it if I could get it to work. When installed I couldn't get out of protection mode w/o booting to safe mode and turning it off. I'm sure it is something specific to my set-up since no one else has this issue. I settled on Shadow Defender. But I would really like to use Returnils Schedule feature.

...screamer

8. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Screamer,

Just looked at c:\widows & no files named Returnil present. Same for search Returnil.* & *.DAT (my searches show hidden).

Before I uninstalled Returnil I "Dismounted Virtual drive = Z" > Quit Returnil > start menu Returnil uninstall.

Did you dismount?

Okay! I've looked at XP's 'disk management' [ z:\ ] does not appear. I wonder if [ z: ] actually existed should it be on the MAP at disc management?

How would you confirm that [ z:\ ] virtual drive is gone?

Hopefully I'll get an email from 'coldmoon' tomorrow when I get home from work, if not I'll call DF's tech. <they offer full support for trial ver.> 800 number also. A problem with Returnil you have to be paid for Tech support & they have no forum, also DF has no forum, hmm Wilders any ideas? Hint how about a DF or RVS section of Wilders?

Take Care
    Rico

PS. Should have known RVS would be a problem, from the backwards 'R'

9. screamer

Rico, the Z drive was invisible. Yeah, I did dis-mount before un-install. If I were you, I'd wait for Coldmoon to answer. Again, since I can't use this app, I needed something, so I settled for SD. I like Returnils Schedule feature.
    SD is serving its needs, I think I'm gonna purchase it next week.

...screamer

10. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Screamer,

What's SD? Also a virtual drive like "last drive = Z:\" would expose itself somewhere registry, config. file etc. "not sure where"

Take Care
    Rico

11. screamer

SD = ShadowDefender

12. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Screamer,

I tried 'SD' nice I like the 'Exclusion List', but this program has the same problem as Returnil, won't enter Shadow Mode. SD will always say 'Normal Mode.'

My very first install of anything virtual, was 'Returnil' which failed to go into 'Protection'. Okay! I'll bet this is what messed up DF, & now SD. Something common on my machine is preventing virtual mode on all three apps.?

Take Care
    Rico

13. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

If it's activated you can see it at my computer next to C Drive.

14. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hello Rico,
    The Virtual Partition is just a file and is located (if made) in the hidden root folder for RVS:

%s\Returnil\RVSYSTEM.img (VP)
    %s\Returnil\RVSYSTEM.dat (DAT file)

Where %s is your system partition. In most cases this will be C:\, but can be different in Multi-boot setups...

Please do the following:

1) Uninstall RVS (done! as per your earlier post in this thread)
    2) As you indicate that you have "Show hidden files" activated, navigate to the C:\Returnil folder and verify that 1) The folder no longer exists or 2) that there are no files in this folder. If #2, delete the folder
    3) Reboot the system
    4) Download a fresh copy of RVS
    5) Install in an Admin account or with Admin Permissions and make sure that you deactivate the option to start protection with Windows and the protection scheduler

DO NOT remove, edit, or change the included Serial Number in the Personal Edition. If you are using the Business Edition please let me know and I will get you a fresh Serial Number for your account.

If you still recieve the same error, please include a screenshot of the main GUI in a follow up e-mail to my company address.

Mike

15. jfd15

jfd15 Registered Member

can i add to this- i think its related...ran a program HD TUNE - and it shows
    a 1500 MB partition on my HDD of unknown file type and no letter designation as
    far as D: or E: etc, - im just wondering if this is a remnant from Returnil because
    i used it a while back, but have i re-installed the OS image twice since then and didnt re-install Returnil....this partition doesnt show up on the regular Windows
    under "Computer" where it shows your C: and D: drives....anything sinister or just leftover Returnil stuff? or is this the system restore or something?

16. Coldmoon

Hello jfd15,
    The RVS Virtual Partition will only be in one place unless the file has been moved, copied, or backed up. When installed or being used it will be in the root folder C:\Returnil. If it was moved and not renamed, it will be "RVSYSTEM.img".

If the VP file is outside of the root folder it will only be a file, a very large file, but still only a file as it must be in the root Returnil folder to be mounted. This means it will not be seen or be accessed as a partition until it is mounted by Returnil itself. IOW - Windows and other programs will see it as nothing other than a very big file.

I would investigate this further as it could be a factory installed but hidden recovery partition or it could be for another recover solution you may have used or are using currently.

Mike

Edit: spelling

17. jfd15

jfd15 Registered Member

Thanks Mike/Coldmoon,

must not be Returnil related then, i remember it
    made some kind of virtual drive, so it was the only thing
    i could think of that i installed that might have made
    some kind of partition... i wouldnt have moved any
    files on a program like that, so its unlikely to be the
    VP file... thanks

18. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi ColdMoon

Hmmmm! Right after last communication SD started acting up & would enter 'ShadowMode' approx. 1 in 6 attempts. Icon changed color & volume would say "Shadow Mode." NOTE the 6 failed attempts to enter 'ShadowMode' the intended drive's icon would not change color and say "NormalMode."

I tried disabling all startup's with inconsistent results. Then Prevx2 failed to show up in the system tray. So I uninstalled "Prevx2" now SD enters ShadowMode consistently!

With Prevx2 still uninstalled I downloaded a fresh RVS (thought for sure it would work) but still RVS could not enter protected mode.

What's real funny is SD's tech. (Tony) downloaded Prevx2 & claims there product has no troubles with Prevx2. ColdMoon I believe all Rico's 1's & 0's have gone insane. Thank you for all your expert help!

Take Care
    Rico

19. Coldmoon

Hi Rico,
    Before you go any further, I think you have started with a good idea:

The idea is to take your system to a very simple setup where all your important, every day use programs are stable and work as expected. Then stress test it for a while until you are satisfied with the performance.

Once you have moved past this point, then begin adding additional programs you want to use. Not all programs will work on all configurations and your reports to date are showing a basic instability that you seem to be compounding by adding/trying new programs too quickly.

Though I have a versted interest in RVS working on your computer, it is not as important as making sure you have a stable platform before you try to integrate RVS into your setup...

Mike

20. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

That is exactly the way, I do it also and all my different images are based on that principle too. This is the only easy way to nail software(s), which are responsible for possible problem(s). That was one of the reasons, why I re-installed my computer from scratch, to get all these images.
    If I have a big problem at work, I split the problem in smaller problems and fix them one-by-one.

21. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Rico

Something I've learned after much wasted time, is disabling doesn't prove anything. Like you've found only sure way is to uninstall.

Pete

22. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

It comes down to a process of elimination. Some security apps simply will not gel as you expect no matter what and is left up to the developers whether or not to address certain compatibility issues are in the best interest for their product customer/user base or not.

I have to say though that those conflicts are certainly not as pronounced and wide spread as they used to be. The biggest problem i always was concerned with and still am to a point is with this Vista compatibility pairing with XP. I read a lot on problems getting this mesh to take favorably with most security apps although for the most part time plus trial & error has much remedied this issue for now.

With a new Vista Premium system now running within reachable costs users are jumping over to them again where before they openly and sometimes fiercely opposed migrating to $M's latest O/S.

But as for me and my camp vista is way too late. It's but all too simple and easy to emulate vista on XP now and theres no way i could ever justify or even be willing to resort to a higher-end PC just to accommadate an O/S that's not really much of an improvement over XP anyway. Now as for Vienna? There might be something with it to prove it's superiority over XP but just how long do you think thats going to take before $M seriously moves ahead with pushing it to release. Years? How Many?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.