Help! Restored Partition Type???

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Digifreak, Apr 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Digifreak

Digifreak Registered Member

Evaluating the software (and enjoying)

I'm using the latetst Build 3567 + Windows XP SP2

But I had a nightmare when I tried to revert to a BackUp of my Windows XP System Drive.

The Image was backed up onto a separate Drive, but when I got to the restore partition Type section of the restore wizard, it askes me to select a restored partition type: Active, Pimary, Logical

The Application chose Logical for me, but I noticed that the decription below says recommended if the partition image doers no contain an operting system that is booted from the promary partition'

This confused me. Because I the current system partion I want to restore IS the primary Boot drive. (Or have I got this wrong?)

Now - what should I be choosingo_O I simply want to restore my current sytem back to the current Windows XP C: drive. But when I tried this with suggested Logical set - the PC failed to boot after the restore, saying it could finf HSD (something..)

SO.... Did I do sometheing wrong when I saved the original Backup Image of my system?
    My tech support said I had to make the image 'bootable', but I can see no option for that in the Wizard.
    I just chose the back entire disk partition, with Archive Splitting to less than 2 gig (in case I want to save to DVD) later.

What am I doing wrong?

here I am again, after a long re install, hovering over the next button - wondering if I am going to end up doing another complete windows install, in the event that the restored partition doesn't boot!

Any help appreciated.

2. MerlinAZ

MerlinAZ Registered Member

Since no one has answered yet, I think the right choice would be Active.
    I think that, restored to your C: drive, would make it bootable as long as you imaged the entire C: drive originally.
    Let us know.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Yes, Active. I am surprised it didn't have that selected.

4. Digifreak

If I initiate the restore wizard, BOTH these restores end up asking if I want to do a LOGICAL restore, by default

Strange.....

Well, I'll grit my teeth and switch it to Active.....

see you on the other side....(I hope)

What I'm trying to do
    I have made two separtate Back Images of the entire drive;

Both saved with default setting , entire partition with files split to 1.44 gig

A 'Skinny' one with just core drivers and XP,
    and a 'Applicationed-up' Version with all my regsistred Work Apps.

I planned to:

1. Try and restore to the 'skinny' state,

then (if it works) make a Active Zone and save the skinny state for disaster

recovery
    2. Then revert back to my Current System and perform daily incernmental back up onto a external drive.

That way, I can get back up and running quickly, then restore a recent system, if need be.

I kep all doc on a separate partition and backup.

Is that the idea?

5. Digifreak

ARRRGH!

`Fortheloveof....

Chose Active, sucessfully peformed the restore, then 'failed to find a NTLDR is missing' CRT+ALT+ to Restart.... ' when it tried to boot.

Oh Golly....I have just run the CD disk, to see how I can get out of this nightmare...

It should be this fraught?

I made absolutely sure I restored to the correct partition - checked the size of it - rather than the Drive Letter. When I run the boot disk. It says the C drive is the Active Partion.

What do I do now?

I', now attempting to (using the boot CD) to restore the mot recent system.

Prior to dong this, I validated both Archives, they were ok?

I wanted to buy this, now I just want my life back!
    (Writing thhis on my mac)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2006
  6. Digifreak

So now, I can only boot up with the TI CD....

I can see the other drives, where both my Restore images reside.

In the restore Partition Location Panel, My (Non Booting C) drive is listed as Pri, ACT is is 'checked off as disabled'

D: The other partition on the Boot Drive is Pri and is blank

The E & G Drives are External Drive are as Pri/ACT

Is there a way back from this?

Please say yes.

7. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I don't know enough about this stuff to give you good advice and hopefully somebody who does will come along.

Have you tried booting with your external drive unplugged? I find the designation of PRI/ACT for both partitions a bit strange.

8. Digifreak

I was exploring this software prior to starting a project, in the vain hope I could save myself time is thing went pear-shaped and keep things safe and sound.

Intstead of that, I've lost 1.5 days and a lot of confidence in this product.

:doubt:

9. Digifreak

At some point before this happened, I managed to creat a bootable DVD with a Restore on it, using the guide outlined in this forum....

So I guess that's the last throw of the dice.

Trying it now.

This post is turning into a blog :gack:

SAME DEAL withe the bootable DVD.

Worked like a charm - restored fine, said all was well

Reboot ;NTLDR; is missing

I think I might try Ghost - I can see what I

Last edited: Apr 26, 2006
  10. Digifreak

A complete nuke of the c drive - and windows reinstall later....

I Backed up the fresh system, and restored it from a second drive.

I was prompted to Restore to the Active C Drive (as expected) and everything worked

When I tried to Restore my Complete System+ Apps image saved out yesterday....it completed, but refused to boot

So I guess the partition allocation tables got screwed up on my previouos system, and got saved out with the system backups - So when I tried to restore, it returned the partition table to it's 'confused' state.

The only other diffrence was that my sucessfull restore was not split - just one image....

OH well - at lest I have a 100% certain backup image that I can revert to

at last

11. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

Did you try restoring the MBR from the backup image?

ADDED - A forum search on "NTLDR missing" turned up a lot of hits. Maybe somethimg there will be of help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.