Help regarding windows vista

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by cats eyes green, Jun 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cats eyes green

cats eyes green Registered Member

My daughter has blocked her laptop, she states that the password she has inserted is correct, she has had the password for some time. I have tried this password every way but I am concerned that as I have inserted the password a number of times that I have blocked her system.

I have been told to download discs to unblock the password but as I am not great on computers I am a bit apprehensive. I didn't do any password reset discs so cannot reset the password.

It is the password that starts the computer as far as I am aware it is the BIOS password. (and not the windows aol password)

Does anyone know how to get around this the system is Windows Vista Home Basic or do I have to return the laptop to Dell.

I have all the reinstalling discs to reinstall the software but I am concerned that I could reinstall the discs, loose all her assignments and still not get passed this password.

Any help greatly appreciated:rolleyes:

2. Seer

Seer Registered Member

If it is indeed a BIOS password the only thing that will reset it is cutting the power to BIOS. That is, removing a battery which holds the power for CMOS when the PC is off. Since this is a laptop and you said you're not too savvy with computers I'd suggest you phone for a professional assistance (DELL). That should be a routine intervention for them.
    I would also try to focus my attention on how and why the password you were using got changed in the first place. It may be a sign of a failing hardware or simply a firmware bug. Is there a possibility of someone messing with the lappy?

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello cats eyes green,

I dont think your daughter would of set a bios password so im guessing the windows password.
    you state you didnt create password reset discs so you cant get in, this practically 100percent garanties its a windows user account password.
    there is a way around this.
    if you dont understand any of the below then contact dell and explain the situation.

if you have a proper vista disc you can get around the problem
    you insert the vista dvd restart the laptop. if there is text that reads press any key to boot to cd/ dvd or along those lines press any key on the keyboard quickly.

it should come up with a menu like in the first screenshot below. click on repair if avalible. if repair isnt on that screen abort at this point take out disc turn off laptop and phone dell.
    if repair is avaliable click on it and follow the instuctions below.

you should see a menu as shown in the second screenshot.
    click on commandprompt
    type the line below including spaces / and :

net user administrator /active:yes

then once its completed it should tell you.
    now exit from the disc and reboot the computer without the disc in the computer.

at startup keep pressing F8 until you get a black and white menu with lots of options. select safe mode and press the return key on the keyboard also known as enter. after a while the login screen will show.

double click on the administrator account with your mouse.

once logged in click on the start orb,go to control panel
    now go to user accounts and family safety, go to user accounts,manage another account. click countinue on the prompt that comes up.
    click on the account that needs the password to be removed. click on remove the password, once done close all windows.
    now reboot the computer and click on the account in question and will be able to login.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  4. cats eyes green

My daughter and I have our own laptops my son could have gone on hers but he doesn't know her bios password, thats what worried me as well, could her computer have any type of spyware on. Been told that as the BIOS password is locked that the machine is no good and just used for bits. Hope this isn't true

5. cats eyes green

Sorry for the confusion, it is the password that you have to insert when you turn on the laptop

6. cats eyes green

I'll try and explain what happens the best I can........

Turn on system

laptop loading

then asks for the password

This is the password that she enters and it states it is incorrect

--------------------------------------------------------------

(once this password is entered it then loads up windows which is Vista Home Basic) but without the password cant' get on

:'(

7. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  8. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

If it is the bios password (you get a grey screen), then only dell can reset the password. There are some DST boot cds that you can try and get to clear the bios and reset the service tags (where the bios password is stored), but you have already tried that route with no success. Also removing the battery will not work on most laptops (especially dells). to completely clear the bios and return it to the "manufacturing mode" requires shorting out the right "eeprom chip". a complicated procedure for most users.

The "bios password" on laptops is designed to be hard to reset by normal means.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.