Help...problem I can't figure out

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Uroboros, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uroboros

Uroboros Registered Member

Maybe someone can shed some light on the issue I'm having.

This weekend I created a Snapshot because i was going to test some software on my WinXP machine. There were a couple things I installed and uninstalled until I decided I wanted to go back to the snapshot made the day before. Unfortunately when I booted up and pressed F1 to choose that snapshot I got an error. Only option I was given was to press any key to continue booting into Windows.

The error I kept getting in red type was something to do with GMAL.

I decided to uninstall and reinstall from the CD that I got when I first bought the program. Rebooting and seeing that F1 now worked I booted into Windows and updated the program. Unfortunately updating gave me the same error I started out with.

Decided to uninstall and just run the version from the CD that I knew worked. I figured something I had done in testing those programs had somehow screwed up FirstDefense.

Unfortunately while I could not boot from other snapshots; I could not copy any snapshot to the main snapshot. If I tried to go into FirstDefense to try this..I get an message telling me I hadn't rebooted when I installed FirstDefense. I figure that might be due to the fact that these snapshots were created with a new version of FirstDefense.

So now I have a program whose latest version does not work for me for reason I can't figure out. No reason why it shouldn't work while the older version does.

I'm about to just over and uninstall the program and the snapshots; but there's no guarantee that this will fix anything.

Anyone have any idea what the heck is going on here?

TIA

2. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Sorry what is GMAL ?

You cannot copy a snapshot to the one you are booted into.

DO you have anything else installed that may conflict with the MBR or other preboot utilities??

3. Uroboros

1. Have no idea what GMAL is

2. Right now I have the latest version from Raxco installed. I can't copy a snapshot into the Primary snapshot because it's the active snapshot...I assume.

3. Not that I'm aware of. What I was testing were not really programs but Xpise and the like to change the look of WinXP. It's very probable one of these things screwed up FirstDefense; but would I even start too look.

4. Uroboros

Well uninstalled COMPLETELY (including snapshots) and reinstalled and updated again. Created a secondary snapshot and same damn error upon reboot. Can't choose any other snapshot besides the default primary.

This now makes the program useless which is too bad. Still don't get why the latest update has a problem but not the version I bought on CD. Or why there's this problem to begin with.

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

In your case, I would re-install my computer completely from scratch. IMO there is a software on your computer that conflicts with FDISR.

1. First take a backup of your old system to get back in business, if you can't nail the problem.

2. Install Windows + drivers.

3. Install FDISR and create the primary and secondary snapshot.

If you still have the problem, then you have a serious problem, because when FDISR doesn't work under Windows without any other software, that is not normal.

If you don't have the problem anymore, install each software and after each software test the problem. This way you can nail the software that is causing the problem.

6. Uroboros

For some reason the older version of the program works. FirstDefense-ISR Professional v1.05.166. So it's strange the latest version will not. I even installed the trial version from Leapfrog. Rebooted, no other snapshot besides primary, F1, GMAL-01 error. What the heck is GMAL. I know some one else posted something bout a GMAL-04 error; but I've located no info on GMAL

Also what can be running before FirstDefense-ISR on boot-up

I'd go back to the older version but I worry what problems I might encounter if any.

Looks like I may have to look into other alternative as much as I hate to do that.

7. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Uroborus does it show anything in the logs when you look (if you still have FD installed)

Open the gui and under tools, select view log activity. When it opens see if it lists the snapshot as having errors. If yes, click on the blue plus sign and have a look through the log to see what it says the errors are.

I would also contact support at the vendor you bought it from. Was it Raxco?

I am sure support would be a good option.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.