Help Please

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Rita, Sep 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

I have just purchased Mcafee antivirus prog and I cant set it up,therefore I have no virus protection now.It keeps giving an error message when I try.Could someone tell me what it means and how I can fix it?Thanks so much

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/536/error7rz.gif

2. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Make sure you disable the setting with the red dot in front of it...

Attached Files:

3. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi StyleWarz
    I have it disabled,just checked to see

4. Sputnik

Ok, sorry this didn't help, if something else comes in mind i'll tell you.

5. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Thanks,I appreciate it!

6. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Rita,

Do you use IE as your browser and have ActiveX enabled? McAfee uses ActiveX for update/etc. operations.

Blue

7. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

yes I use IE as my main browser and I tried with firefox too.
    How do I check and see if I have it enabled?Thank you

8. BlueZannetti

Within IE, under Tools>Internet Options> select Security tab>select Custom level, a Security Settings window pops up. Page down the listing that appears. You will see entries related to ActiveX including one to Run ActiveX controls and plugins. Is it set to either Prompt or Enabled?

Blue

9. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Its set to administor approved

10. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

I enabled it and got everything set up,Is this a safe setting?I cant get automatic updates unless I leave it set like it is now

11. BlueZannetti

It depends. I'm not an IE guru, but the admin approved setting seems to apply when group policies are defined. More the type of thing encountered in a commercial setting with a dedicated admin.

I have mine set to enable on my own machine, but I use Firefox except when IE is required. I realize lots of nasty use ActiveX to work, but McAfee should handle that. If you worried, set it to prompt - then you will be asked each time ActiveX tries to run. It may be tedious, or not, depending on what you do.

The other thing, check out Online Armor, it has a nice ActiveX control facility, as I'm sure other products do, if you want active control.

Blue

12. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Everyone

I use nothing but IE, and until Online Armor I used PopUp Cop to control Active X. Now I rely on OA and it does a fine job. I also am using the latest beta of Safe'N'Sec and it alerts on some other things that can be used with IE. Bottom line is I've gone into some fairly iffy no mans lands with IE and have not encountered any problems.

Pete

13. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Thank you so much Blue for your help

14. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

I usually use IE too but sometimes when something wont work with it I use Firefox

15. zcv

zcv Registered Member

That's a major reason why I don't use or recommend McAfee and take it off where ever I find it running.

I know of no other security app that needs activeX to run.

Regards - Charles

16. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hi Charles
    I had bought Panda internet security and installed it and used it for a couple of days,and nothing would work right on the computer.I knew it was causing it all because It started acting up from the time it was first installed, so I had to uninstall it and find another av.I loved the free panda av I had for the last year but when I renewed it--it was all different and I just couldnt use it.The free one worked very good for me though.dont know if I will like McAfee or not,time will tell I guess.

17. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Hi Rita,

Keep up posted on your experirnce with McAfee. It is a top tier AV and lots of users like it and have no problems with it.

My personal opinion is that ActiveX and security is an oxymoron.

Regards - Charles

18. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:eek: Hi Rita:

As you may know, do to circumstances beyond my control (limited disability and military retirement income) I am compelled to use "free" virus protection. It all depends upon which one works for the individual, and the idiosyncrasies of ones machine.

The following three are all "free" and appear to do a fairly good job at protection.

(1) AntiVir/Classic (I would recommend the current BETA version).

(2) AVG (simple to use and maintain).

(3) AVAST (This one did not work well on my machine(s), but quiet a few individuals here at Wilders tout it's praises.

I currently am using AntiVir/Classic (the only problem is with the server(s) when one attempts to download the updates, it can be rather slow). I also don't think the "free" version has automatic updating.

Also look through the other threads in this category here at Wilders, there is some useful information. Look at the one just about ready to install AVG or AVAST (this may not be exactly the way the thread is listed, but it is close).

Hope this was of some help.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :-*

Last edited: Sep 9, 2005
  19. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Hi Rita

There nothing wrong with McAfee's detection, it is consistantly among the best, if you continue to have problems and if BigC doesn't notice this thread, then you should PM him, he is the resident McAfee-guru here and have used all versions to my knowledge. I wish you luck. :)

20. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Hey bud i see you are having problems getting mcafee installed? It might not be IE not allowing activeX and scripting, you need to check all of your security apps to make sure that none of them is blocking it a firewall will sometimes block this. To get an error like that it is being blocked by some piece of software. If you are not real sure which ones can block activeX or scripting please list your security apps here please.

curt

Last edited: Sep 9, 2005
  21. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi Curt
    I got it fixed-i had to enable activeX in IE to get it to work,I didnt have the firewall running when I was trying to get it installed, suppose I' have to leave it enabled to get the updates wont i?I really liked the panda av and firewall I had last year,but when I renewed it,it was something called interenet security and it fouled up everything up on my computer and I had to take it off.hopefully I'll get a refund of the $60.I tried it for 3 days I think.I have the following apps--Ewido,Giant spyware,spybot,Adware,SG,I have more but cant think of them all right now.also have winpatrol and spyware blaster too and now I have installed sygate firewall since I didnt have one after Panda was uninstalled.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2005
  22. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi Wildman
    I have used avast in the past and it worked well,also antiVir too.I had forgotten about them till now.Mcafee is working well now it seems with activex enabled though I had to change security level to med instead of high like it was beforeThank you for replying.

23. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

I have heard it is a good one,think it'll be ok now,thanks for replying

24. Sputnik

Glad it works now. And like stated before, McAfee's detection is good, although the rest of the program is a meather of taste. Personally I don't like their home programs. The interface is bloated and full of advertising for their other products :(

25. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:-* Hi Rita:

Glad to see you got things squared away. As you see I have to use freeware, and am using Zone Alarm as my firewall, thus far it is working like a champ, just thought I would pass this on to you in case you were looking for a good fire wall and didn't want to shell out the duckets.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :eek: ;) :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.