help please...how to get rid of ip 169.254.x.x

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by rubber soul, Mar 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rubber soul

rubber soul Registered Member

hello. I'm trying to get rid of the default autoconfig ip on my laptop.
    I have a Pc and laptop connected to the router. Since the pc's ip is 192.168.1.100, the laptops ip should therefore be 192.168.1.101. however this is not the case.

The laptop's autoconfig ip starts with 169.254 blah... and therefore I cannot access internet.

Clue: A while back someone remedied this by assigning a static ip, then typing ipconfig/release, then shutting off and turning on the laptop, then assigning auto ipconfig.....not neccessarily in this order since I cannot remember the specifics or have no expertise...but something along those lines definitely worked!

so can anyone fill in the missing blanks? I've been experimenting with no avail...
    much appreciated!

2. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi rubber soul

... and welcome to Wilders :)

Have you checked your network settings to confirm "Obtain an IP address automatically" is selected.

Have tried doing an ipconfig /release followed by ipconfig /renew at the command prompt?

Regards,

CrazyM

3. rubber soul

yes 'obtain ip automatically' results in the 169.x.x.x ip. when I type ipconfig/release there is no confirmation message, just my current ip configuration. when I type ipconfig/renew an error occurs after a long loading time.

4. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Is the laptop connected to the network when you start it?

Are you connecting via wireless or cable?

Would configuring a static IP work or do you use it elsewhere on other networks?

Regards,

CrazyM

5. rubber soul

The laptop is not part of any network...It's just connected to port2 of the adsl router and accesses internet independantly. there is no communication between laptop or anyother pcs. Using a static ip in the network properties does not seem to work. :eek:

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

If you are getting the 169 error, your dsl is not working at the phone company location.

Did you try bypassing your router?

7. Alec

Alec Registered Member

If you are receiving an IP address in the 169.254.x.x range, then your PC is not seeing a DHCP server. A DHCP server is what hands out the IP addresses for your network. When you have your PC set to obtain an IP address automatically and there is no DHCP server to be found, then Windows will use what's called Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA) and the address range 169.254.0.0 - 169.254.254.254 has been set aside by the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) for this purpose. You will need to work through the troubleshooting steps. Do you have a valid physical link to the router? Is your ethernet cable verified as being good? Are you sure it is a straight-through ethernet cable rather than a crossover? Can you ping the router from your laptop? Do you know for sure what IP the router is using on the private side? Are you sure that the router is configured to function as a DHCP server? If not, what is your DHCP server? You may need to provide a more thorough explanation of your specific network and what exact devices you are using.

8. rubber soul

Thanks for alll replies.....all settled now :D

The problem was the cable. I switched utp cables between pc and laptop and now the laptop works.....that is so weird.

once again thanks, and please forward this info if u recognise a similar problem.

9. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

If you are behind a router you are on your own home private network or LAN (Local Area Network). Your connection to the Internet (another network) will be via your gateway/router.

When defining a static IP you will need to use one that is not in the DHCP pool of your routers DHCP settings. You will also need to specify the subnet and gateway (router's IP) similar to the attached image.

Regards,

CrazyM

Attached Files:

10. rubber soul

wow...the help keeps coming in even after problems are solved--this truly is an excellent board :D

thanks for your help CrazyM.cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.