Help, please - cannot restore from USB drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by NineToTheSky, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NineToTheSky

NineToTheSky Registered Member

A major problem for me: my C: drive wouldn't boot. I have TI (latest build) and have created a boot disk.

My setup is: internal hard drive Western Digital 250gb NTFS (labelled Acer C), Windows XP Home. External Maxtor 160GB USB drive NTFS.

I have restored Windows (from Windows setup disk). In Windows and in BIOS setup, it reports that I have C: WD 250gb, D: CD drive, E: Maxtor 160gb USB.

When I boot from TI boot disk, TI loads and when I go to restore image, TI reports: A: floppy, C: Maxtor 160, D: CD drive. Under Maxtor C, it lists my TI image file. When I click on the image file, in the R/H box, it lists (on left) 1 232.9GB, and to the right Acer C 232.9GB NTFS.

I then say I don't want to verify, and in 'Partition or disk to restore,' I choose Acer C (details: Pri,Act, 232.9GB). TI then analyzes partition C: (hard disk light does not flash). After analyzing, next window shows Maxtor 160 C: Pri,Act.

Then, not surprisingly, an error message says 'cannot restore partition because the image archive file is on the same partition you are going to restore'.

If I disconnect the Maxtor USB drive, I get the message: 'E000101F4 has not found any disk drives'.

I'll be very grateful for any help. TI is obviously not seeing my internal Acer WD C: drive. What should I do?

2. NineToTheSky

I don't want to sound desperate (but I am!) Can no-one help?

3. John Farrar

John Farrar Registered Member

It is possible that your BIOS does not support a drive of 250GB so can you check on the motherboard website for an update to the BIOS so you can flash it? Failing that, you could try using fdisk to partition the hardrive and try restoring to that.

I'm sure others will have more positive suggestions but as you are in such a position I thought I'd post just to bump this up the list.
    Good luck
    John

4. NineToTheSky

Thanks for your reply, John, but my BIOS does support hard drives of more than 137GB.

Any thoughts anyone (eg Acronis Support)?

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.